Community discussions

janux
Topic Author

hAP ac improving wifi

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:57 am

Hi!

Would be there some step by step guide or at least some good practice faq for configuring and improving wifi?

Got RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT (hAP ac) (upgraded to 6.41) like week ago, done default setup, changed SIDs, passwords, but not happy with signal strength/tx/rx speed in my house.
Sometimes I can connect only to 2.4ghz network and 5ghz not visible at all, sometimes even 2.4 is at crappy speeds, varies in which room I am. Major count of home devices support 5ghz, but signal is really poor.

I live in two story private house and would be nice to get wifi in all rooms.

What can I do?
Do I need some additional hardware for each floor?
Bought this model suggested by router.lv experts, as it would be the most appropriate for large private house.

janux
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac improving wifi

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Seems that somehow wlans where configured with some strange settings by internet provider. When I reseted both wlan configs, changed to one SSID, now coverage is a lot bigger and computer chooses best wifi automatically so I don't need to switch by hand.
Of course there are some dead spots due to concrete walls of my house, but will move router here and there and then see.
In worst case will plug in some cAP on the seconds floor.

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:04 am

The only way to fix poor signal is to get a second AP.

Maybe install the one on the first floor and the other one the second floor.

You can use auto freq so the AP pics the cleanest channel.

Also take note that some wireless devices can completely kill the 2Ghz spectrum like Wireless CCTV cameras or TV extenders.

Also placement of the device is also important, putting it close to metallic objects could also affect the stability
There you go then you touched something ;-) : it only takes a change in wind direction to screw with your nat :-)

WirtelPL

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi janux,
Maybe advices from this post helps You.
RB951G-2HnD for home production
RBmAP2nD | RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC for home lab

janux
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 am

Hi janux,
Maybe advices from this post helps You.
Thanx for link. Will try some suggestions and see how it will improve.

janux
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Hello once again.

Just today went with amazing improvement and wanted to share.
So I moved my router from 2nd floor to 1st. Now Wifi on 1st floor is perfect and on second it's rather good. There is some spots where potentially need improvements, but will check and if really will need that, will setup ap.

So basically for others, that try to improve wifi, check for all possible places where to setup router. Not every house is equal and sometimes you need to experiment.