Community discussions

MikroTik App

mga2009
just joined
Topic Author

SXT LTE speeds

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi,

I installed a brand new SXT LTE. I am using it with Movistar in Chile, which works with 2600mhz Band 7.- I am getting full bars in the led lights outside the antenna, and getting around -88 to -90dbm signal power (SINR is around 15 and 20).-

The thing is with my Oneplus 3T phone I can get 30mbps+ download speeds in the same spot, and my SXT LTE only gets around 20mbps download speeds.

I am using the same APN in both devices. Signal in the Oneplus 3T is around -100db. Tried MTU 1500 and 1428 in the SXT.

I know my phone is a CAT6 devices, and the SXT LTE is a CAT 3 device, but i am not even getting closer to the speeds of up to 100Mbit/s downlink and 50 Mbit/s uplink.

So...
-. I am missing something in the configuration that allows me to get higher speeds?
-. Is there any chance to replace the internal PCI-E modem in the SXT LTE with a CAT6 one? I am thinking on the "Sierra wireless MC7455"

Looking forward to your help.

LucZWFM
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: SXT LTE speeds

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:38 pm

-88 / -90 isn't that much signal strenght, this could be the cause...

mga2009
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:45 pm

-88 / -90 isn't that much signal strenght, this could be the cause...
Well, my phone gets a worst signal and gets faster speeds... Also I am ponting the SXT towards the LTE antenna.

Also, what signal strenght should I be looking?

I think the SXT has a 60º spectrum, so do you tihnk I should try to turn it to see If I get better signal?
How would you recommend to test it? 1 degree each tiem, and wait a few minutes for the signal to "sit"?

Also, I think the antenna it's in the right position (not upside down) as the clip comes from the top.

I uploaded some screenshots from my configuration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mga2009
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Any help would be appreciated.

It seems weird that a phone, without external antenna have, almost twice as better performance.

I have a Huawei E3372, which is a Cat4 modem, so I will probably make a test with it, with and without external antenna to see how it compares to the SXT LTE.

Petri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 pm

The wire should come out of the bottom of the SXT LTE, but it shouldn't change the signal level.

Are you using the same SIM card in your testing? At least here in Finland there are many subscription levels with different data rates.

For alignment I have used the web based (http://192.168.88.1) QuickSet page as it shows a real time graph of the signal strength. It is probably also available somewhere in WinBox as well. Start with the device aimed completely to the side. Then sweep slowly across, like 180°, and note the highest peak you get. Then turn it back to the highest value. Do the same vertically. You should do it once again horizontally, if you original vertical alignment was way off.

mga2009
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 pm

The wire should come out of the bottom of the SXT LTE, but it shouldn't change the signal level.

Are you using the same SIM card in your testing? At least here in Finland there are many subscription levels with different data rates.

For alignment I have used the web based (http://192.168.88.1) QuickSet page as it shows a real time graph of the signal strength. It is probably also available somewhere in WinBox as well. Start with the device aimed completely to the side. Then sweep slowly across, like 180°, and note the highest peak you get. Then turn it back to the highest value. Do the same vertically. You should do it once again horizontally, if you original vertical alignment was way off.
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the cable comes out off the bottom of the SXT... And yes, the measure was done using the same sim card.

About the alignmet tip, thanks you very much! I will try them. I will re-do the horizontal and vertical alignment to check If I can get better results.
Should I look for a value around RSRP (-80)dbm, or better?

Petri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 pm

I can't remember. I've set up just a couple of them. There are two graphs and if my memory serves the top one reacts to the alignment visibly.

I have gotten 30Mbps up and 60Mbps down in urban areas, same as my phone. Those numbers don't depend on the signal level so I have assumed they are set by the cell operator.

mga2009
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 pm

I can't remember. I've set up just a couple of them. There are two graphs and if my memory serves the top one reacts to the alignment visibly.

I have gotten 30Mbps up and 60Mbps down in urban areas, same as my phone. Those numbers don't depend on the signal level so I have assumed they are set by the cell operator.

Yes, of course... I do not intend to get better results than my phone, nor even the same (phone is a CAT6), but maybe get on the top 20mbps for download, and 15mbps for upload, considering I am using a high gain antenna like the SKT.

Apart from the "position", do you think is there any other tweak I can make to the SKT?

Petri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 pm

I have had very little trouble with the SXT LTEs. I have just used the web QuickSet to enter the PIN for the SIM and updated the firmware. They have worked as expected. I don't know why you are getting so low rates. The only advice I could give regarded the alignment procedure.

Oh, one trick: There are SIM cards of different thicknesses. Once I had to add a layer of duct tape to the back of one flimsy SIM card for it to make proper contact with the reader. That won't affect the rates, though, it won't connect at all in that case. That has been the only trouble I have had with SXT LTEs. Since then I have taped all the SIMs because that is one probable point of failure.

It is new product though, so I am kind of anticipating some problems with time. In Finland the summer and winter temps are easily 60°C apart, which will stress the gear for sure.

mga2009
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 pm

I have had very little trouble with the SXT LTEs. I have just used the web QuickSet to enter the PIN for the SIM and updated the firmware. They have worked as expected. I don't know why you are getting so low rates. The only advice I could give regarded the alignment procedure.

Oh, one trick: There are SIM cards of different thicknesses. Once I had to add a layer of duct tape to the back of one flimsy SIM card for it to make proper contact with the reader. That won't affect the rates, though, it won't connect at all in that case. That has been the only trouble I have had with SXT LTEs. Since then I have taped all the SIMs because that is one probable point of failure.

It is new product though, so I am kind of anticipating some problems with time. In Finland the summer and winter temps are easily 60°C apart, which will stress the gear for sure.
Thanks again for your reply. I managed to access remotly (Teamviewer) to my SXT and checked the graphs in the "Quick Set" page...

I see RSRP does not have a graph, only RSRQ an RSSI... which one should I check for horizontal and vertical orientation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Petri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 pm

IIRC the top graph responds more to the alignment. Makes sense for the quality of the connection. It is easier if you have partner to turn the device while you keep an eye on the graph. The max value does help, though.

You are running pretty old software. Is it intentional? If you do upgrade then upgrade the firmware also, it is in the WebFig/WinBox app in System > Routerboard screen. You can upgrade the OS right in the QuickSet screen. It might make a difference.

mga2009
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 pm

IIRC the top graph responds more to the alignment. Makes sense for the quality of the connection. It is easier if you have partner to turn the device while you keep an eye on the graph. The max value does help, though.

You are running pretty old software. Is it intentional? If you do upgrade then upgrade the firmware also, it is in the WebFig/WinBox app in System > Routerboard screen. You can upgrade the OS right in the QuickSet screen. It might make a difference.
Excellent! Thanks for the info on the graph.

About the software... nope no intention. I just bought it and installed it, and did not checked the firmware. Before doing the new positioning I will upgrade firmware. Once done I will update with the new results, and probably a comparisson with the Huawei E3372 (CAT4) with and without external antennas.

Thank you again for your help.

mga2009
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:11 pm

I remotely upgrade the software of my SXT LTE and I'm having the exact same results... so respositioning it's the only thing left to try.

Also, regarding the replacement of the 4G modem on the SXT LTE, it seems that it's not possible as it is a "built-in" card.
Check: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supporte ... and_modems

Petri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 pm

If you only had a second unit to test.

No, I haven't tried prying the thing open. It doesn't look like it was designed to be serviceable.