Community discussions

MikroTik App

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Any chance to see NV3?

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi mikrotik guys any chance to see a newer and performing version of NV2? If yes is it possible to have some info about the time path?

Many of us are moving to other vendors but it is an hard and expensive way.

Thnak You in advance

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Any chance to see NV3?

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Yes, you have true.
Currently, NV2 has a worse bandwidth than 802.11.
This is very uncomfortable compared to the competition.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 pm

If there is something in the pipe with ROS 7 you won’t see anything useable in the next 12 month!

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 am

I can't understand why mikrotik don't want to reveal us the future market strategy we need to have this info to plan the future development.

Please tell us If nv2 is no more supported :-(

Please tell us if nv3 is on the way and if it is close to be released :-)

Giuseppe

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 am

I can't understand why mikrotik don't want to reveal us the future market strategy we need to have this info to plan the future development.

Please tell us If nv2 is no more supported :-(

Please tell us if nv3 is on the way and if it is close to be released :-)
+1

mlenhart
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 pm

I am very sad to say it, but Nv2 looks dead to me and there is no official timeline for any improvements. Maybe it's time to move on from MikroTik to other, more flexible vendors...
The one and only responsible for this is MikroTik with their behavior - but if they don't care, why should we stay with them?

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 am

It's unbelievable no words from mikrotik :-(

onnoossendrijver

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:46 pm

What about:
*) wireless - added initial support for "nstreme-plus";
In the latest beta changelog

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:48 pm

no reply from mikrotik why?

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:32 pm

I will try to write on support. Then I write the result

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 am

Answer from support:

Hello,

Recently we added Nstreme-plus, which is made more to work better with the new ARM-based AC wireless chipsets. In future, we might try to add some more features. But first, we need to know what are the missing features in the current Nstreme.
We are currently working to implement the NV2 performance when there are various CPE connected to one AP. If you have any complaint please let us know and it would be great if you could the issue describe as detailed as possible, so we could replicate the issue for fixing them.

Best regards,
Viesturs R.

--
MikroTik.com

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:20 am

We are currently working to implement the NV2 performance when there are various CPE connected to one AP. If you have any complaint please let us know and it would be great if you could the issue describe as detailed as possible, so we could replicate the issue for fixing them.
If mikrotik don't starts to share the new code we 'll have a side version that don't meet all wisp requirments we need to do an hard work all togheter to reach the max performance in PtMP mode that is a complicated scenario

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:17 pm

I have been using NV2 for years, as it is the only way to alleviate the "hidden node effect" when using Mikrotik WiFi. Unfortunately, from the original Omnitik until the NetMetal, each upgrade which was supposed to make NV2 better, made it worse, at least in my scenarios (town-area wlan). Extreme vulnerability to noise, low performance even with one station and good signal, non-sense timing (increasing the period past 2-3ms further decreases the performance without visibly affecting ping and auto works in a completely black box manner), network radius that cannot be adjusted below 10Km(!).

With the advent of AC gear even more problems were added, such as the absence of spectral scan and TX Power indication - and even poorer performance. A NetMetal with a good quality dual-chain 13dBi omni antenna gives same or poorer performance with the same clients than the old Omnitik 5!

At the same time, UBNT gear is not great by any measure, but at least works reasonably well and keeps getting better both in terms of hardware design (second radio dedicated for scanning, better RF filters) and management (much better RF reporting, auto tx power, etc). And of course, their TDD solution (Airmax) works. It is only missing the GPS sync, but what use is GPS sync on Mikrotik, if NV2 performance makes it unfit for any serious use? Not to mention Cambium, which totally rocks in both PtP and PtMP scenarios but sucks in terms of their retail distribution.

It is a pity to see a company which once was the undisputable leader in the -then- emerging WISP market, become the pariah, the last of the herd. Ok, we still love MkTik for its awesome, first-in-class kickass routers, but WiFi? No, thanks. Of course it requires some serious investment to thrive in this fast-moving field, but the huge success of UBNT (who, again, just works without offering anything exceptional) proves that there is much to be gained.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Today I did my first test with Ligowave.... Performance is great, and price point to!

130MBit real TCP Troughput @20 MHz Channel

steen

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am

Hello Folks!

We have been using first nstreme and now nv2 for many years, our experience nv2 is rock solid. Nstreme was abandoned due to signal delays were going up and down now and then. nv2 uses some kind of tdma to tackle the hidden node problem and to avoid some other problems as well.

At least for us, customers experience wireless(5GHz-A/N/AC 20/40/80MHz mode ) up/download speeds about 90-100Mbit/s in our network where we use SXT and QRT5 devices, and 20-30Mbit/s in mikrotik legacy environment (5GHz-A 20MHz mode and some test using 40MHz but it was no difference to 20MHz). All network is using directional antennas and is well planned in the frequency domain and number of client devices per access point. It had been so for many years.

Bang for the buck regarding bandwidth is another interesting question, for 80MHz mode and only get out 100MBit/s is not the best. My AC 802.11 indoor nat router from dlink gives much more.

So there must be room for improvement in nv2 and nstreme.

You are mention Cambium, LigoWave and ubiquiti. There are also some other off course. How does they stand in comparison to mikrotik regarding performance/price ?

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Cambium Medusa performance @30 MHz channel are unbelievable something around 500 Mb/s aggegate on AP (internal speedtest from cpes), prices are very high 6000 euro for the AP and 200 euro for the CPE. Ubiquiti AC gen2 hardware has the same costs of mikrotik doubling the performance and maybe the number of clients on the AP but here we have very small experience. Ubiquiti has a lot of wireless features like gps sync, rf filter, hot scan, ATPC, ecc

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi,

here you can see an working TDMA with 802.11ac Hardware.
Good and stable Speeds, low latency,
Mimosa C5c, 20 Mhz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steen

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 am

Hello Folks!

So far, we have very successfully using the classic R52 based devices, very stable since 2006/2007 till today but speeds to low compared with todays standards, max out 20-35Mbit/s in ptmp. All clients connected at 54Mbit/s all the time. Link quality is 95-100% all the time on all clients.

We tried using SXT, SEXTANT and QRT5 plus also DynaDish, trying to push speeds higher by using AC and N. I will not say links and networks in that segments are as stable as the R52 based. They are not connected like 54Mbit/s at all the time, they varies all the time, when there is not traffic some of the clients go down to 5Mbit/s whilst when traffic flows goes up to max 833Mbit/s. Yet tx/rx signal is -20 to -30 and s/n 60-70db, link quality is terrible at least if you look on the numbers.
With that said, they sill manage to pump data 100Mbit/s up and down using real life file transfers through the system.
And yes, we have had few customers complaining about "lag" and "delay" whilst playing games.
It is like they go down and sleep when no traffic, if you ping them, they respond as quickly as the r52 devices, but speed is lower at the start ans slowly goes up to 822Mbit/s.
Doing spectrum analysis show no clear channels all the time, no disturbance not radars and so on.
We have done everything, changed frequencies, moving antennas, changing routers and even cables in some cases, nothing really helped.

These complaints has never happened in the R52 based segments, rock solid all time the past ten years.

Yet wi will try upgrade more basestations and clients to support AC, because they definitely raise speed from 20-30Mbit/s to over 100Mbit/s.

ahteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 am

Hi,

Mimosa C5c, 20 Mhz
What is AP Model?
A5-14 or A5c?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 am

-30-20 dB of received signal is too much. The receiver surely has problems to disassembly the signal. Lower the tx rate to keep rx levels of all clients at AP receiver around -50 db.

steen

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 pm

-30-20 dB of received signal is too much. The receiver surely has problems to disassembly the signal. Lower the tx rate to keep rx levels of all clients at AP receiver around -50 db.
Oh, we have several clients with receiver signals over 75-80db, maybe they are saturated :-) I will lower the signal on tx rate to see if it stabilizes.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi,

Mimosa C5c, 20 Mhz
What is AP Model?
A5-14 or A5c?
This was P2P Test C5c to C5c

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Mistry with ubiquiti AF 5x we can archieve somethimg like 190 Mb half duplex @20MHz

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Mistry with ubiquiti AF 5x we can archieve somethimg like 190 Mb half duplex @20MHz
Yes right, for about 700€ for a link set. And for the same price the new AF-5xHD (will get my first next week)

What i tested is a 802.11ac Radio i buyed the link for about 230€
And for that Price you get good throughput .

If ROS was up to date we could archive the same with Mikrotik Hardware.
But it is not.
So much new Devices with IPQ4018 and this lsemi-finished driver, and all Wave 2 Features missing.
And how long? Until ROS 8.0?

C5c has
-good TDMA Protocol ( i will test Interference impact next week)
-low latency especially at high throughput
-spectral scan

karina

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm

oh ye of little faith. Something good is coming for NV2 with 6.42. I have been testing the pre-release versions and its looking really promising. Mikrotik is still the best ptmp solution in my opinion. other than air fiber for ptp links we are 100% Mikrotik, right down to the WiFi routers we supply our customers. Mimosa or UBNT may work well in one environment but not so in another, There is no "one size fits all config" for AP's even on the same tower, you need to tune each AP , only with Mikrotik can you do that to a really fine degree. The tweakability of Mikrotik is unmatched by any other vendor and each device has one of the most comprehensive routers on the planet built right in. We directly compete, and mostly win, with fiber networks, cadmium networks and some other types. The number one concern for 90% of customers is price, again only Mikrotik can give you that edge.