Community discussions

MikroTik App

wispwest
Topic Author

Problems on upgrade wAP 60G

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:57 am

Got my wireless wire pair in today, tonight I am testing them out and they WERE working great! Until.....

- out of habit I always go and upgrade firmware on things like this.
- downloaded firmware on both units using the "check for updates" function.
- did the master side first (I'm connected to the slave with laptop)
- master comes back online, I'm trying to hit the "download and install" button on the slave but it can't resolve DNS now because the link simply isn't registering now
- finally slave unit connects and gets internet to hit the download and install, downloading.....
- during the downloading part, I can't remember if it actually took the firmware upgrade or not, but I lost winbox connection
- now I can NEVER get back into it with winbox, NOTHING shows up in the "neighbors" either
- I reboot the unit, reboot computer, tried doing a FACTORY RESET, not matter what I do, I can no longer see it listed in the neighbors, nor can I even ping it when I put my computer on the same 192.168.88.xx network (don't think I could ping them prior anyways, maybe Mikrotik had a firewall rule setup
- Giving up now, and the only thing I can notice is that this unit lights for Ethernet seem to be going on/off on occasion

I can grab the MASTER unit and plug into it, see it in the neighbors, etc. and everything is fine and normal. Do these things have some flaky ethernet ports maybe? Or is the firmware on it corrupted now? They also don't seem to be registering either on the wireless side........

wispwest
Topic Author

Re: Problems on upgrade wAP 60G

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:51 am

UPDATE: Had to hold reset button for 300 seconds to reformat and use NETINSTALL to re-install the firmware, bogus!

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:08 pm

We are very sorry to hear that you have experienced such problem with your device.

First of all, although you have experienced this problem with Wireless Wire kit device, most likely this problem is not in any way related to exact RouterBOARD model device. Seems that you simply experienced some kind of upgrade problem.

To and from which RouterOS version did you upgrade your router? Good news is that we have completely reworked upgrade process in latest RouterOS versions and we hope that not you and not others will experience such upgrade issues in future any more.

Please let us know if you experience this or any other issue again and do not hesitate to write to support@mikrotik.com and explain the situation.

As for the reset issue - sounds that you had enabled protected bootloader feature and this is exactly what should have happened. Protected bootloader disables reset button and you can unlock it by keeping reset button pressed specific (configured by administrator) period of time.

salamon
just joined

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:14 pm

same here, the story: got a new kit, at first upgraded from factory ros to arm-6.42rc27 on both sides, worked fine in lab, asigned new L3 data, deployed in field. 3 weeks worked with no problem. Today upgraded to arm-6.42rc35. Copying packaege files to both sides and reboot. Both devices comes up and the line was OK. Entering CLI command "system routerboard upgrade" on both side, than reboot again. I have lost both devices in same manner as described by wispwest.

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Is there any supout.rif saved files before upgrade was done? If yes, please write to support@mikrotik.com

salamon
just joined

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 am

unfortunatelly not ...

salamon
just joined

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Having a time, I turn back to the problem today:
have made a fresh netinstall with success, anyway it trys to bootup in the endless loop, so start to study the boot process on the unit.
I got locked the reset button, and after a longer delay the unit comes up and was again visible in winbox, seems to work OK, this is the output from the unit:
[admin@MikroTik] > system routerboard settings print
auto-upgrade: no
boot-device: nand-if-fail-then-ethernet
cpu-frequency: 716MHz
boot-protocol: bootp
silent-boot: no
protected-routerboot: disabled
reformat-hold-button: 20s
reformat-hold-button-max: 10m

I can describe the boot process as follows:
0s = reset button pressed anf held down, unit powered up
0s - 6s > usr LED steady (boot)
6s - 11s > usr LED flashing
11s - 16s > usr LED steady
16s = usr LED go off, right after that the reset button released
16s - 1:30 > usr LED off
1:30 = usr LED 2x rapid flash
1:38 the unit start responding and works OK

after reboot boot up in endless loop again.
have sent the supout.rif to MT support