Community discussions

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Best Dual-Polar Antenna for 5.8GHz ?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi there,

Any "happy" or otherwise reports for which dual-polar 5.xGHz antennas to specify?
Customers want 12-18km links, 50Mbps+ FDX.

Would appreciate comments from other users - have heard mixed reports on various brands. Would be nice to generate a really useful list -

Regards

CableFree Solutions
CableFree - Wireless Excellence - Microwave, E-band Radios, Free Space Optics, High performance Radios & Routers
http://www.cablefree.net

believewireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:19 am

We use the MTI 23dBi dual-pol for short links and it's a great antenna. Two other options are the Gabriel dishes and drums. The drums are great when you have local noise (Same tower, nearby tower) but are twice as expensive as the dishes of the same gain.

On the 28dBi MTI panel, we've heard reports and seen one have water intrusion that takes down the link.

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:18 pm

Thanks for the reply!
Yes we've tested the MTI 23dBi dual-pol flat panel and it works great in the lab even at full speed 80Mbps HDX and 60Mbps+ FDX.
Not tested Gabriel, that sounds a good tip - thanks very much
Anyone else with good/bad/ugly experiences ?

Regards

CableFree Solutions
CableFree - Wireless Excellence - Microwave, E-band Radios, Free Space Optics, High performance Radios & Routers

mipland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:53 pm

60Mbps+ FDX
But, only with one wireless card on each site?
2,4 or 5GHz?
Turbo?
Nstreme?

Thanks
Bye

IZ3HAD, Mirco

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:51 pm

60Mbps+ FDX
But, only with one wireless card on each site?
2,4 or 5GHz?
Turbo?
Nstreme?
60Mbps+ FDX was 2 radio cards, Turbo, 5GHz band, Nstreme2 using our AMD 'NX'-powered outdoor-grade HPR boxes.
It IS possible to go faster, there is a doc on our site showing 200Mbps bridged throughput P2MP with 5 radio cards in one HPR box as the BS.
Probably better to start a new thread about that, original here is about dual-pol Antennas -

gyoztes
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:24 pm

These numbers seems very good. Where is your website with this doc?

And the answer for the antenna question: grante.hu
12 km: signal -50, 32km: -55

gyoztes

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:33 pm

Well, perhaps this should be another thread, and there's plenty form a search the archives from diverse apps/users, but from us:
http://www.cablefreesolutions.com/pdf/P ... 0Final.pdf
is the P2MP test. Of course that's in the lab, and real-world performance is going to be lower. But still, shows the power of MT on fast hardware.
and:
http://www.cablefreesolutions.com/radio ... Solent.pdf
shows real-world (using "old" routerOS, today's is better) in near-LOS conditions over sea.
Hope that is interesting-

[and hadn't considered grante dual pol: anyone used it? results?]

Regards

advantz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:07 am

I believe up to 80mbps half duplex can archived if using directional antennas, e.g solid dish :D

BelWave
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:26 am

Thanks for the reply!
Yes we've tested the MTI 23dBi dual-pol flat panel and it works great in the lab even at full speed 80Mbps HDX and 60Mbps+ FDX.
Not tested Gabriel, that sounds a good tip - thanks very much
Anyone else with good/bad/ugly experiences ?

Regards

CableFree Solutions
Hello Stephen,

We've been using RadioWaves and Gabriel dual polarity antennas for years with Trango gear. Both brands appear to be equal in overall performance. I like both, but the Gabriel typically comes in at a better price.

Regarding the MTi DP 23dBi panel...sure would be nice to see CableFree Solutions to offer that package as a DP client radio or NStreme2 PtP kit. With the MTi enclosure that could be a pretty slick product. Any plans to offer this?

Best,

Brad

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 am

Dear Brad,

Thanks for the feedback on Radiowaves and Gabriel. We too got quotes for both, Gabriel is cheaper and much shorter quoted lead time.
Are you using them for "full duplex" modes with Trango? Or just for "polarity hopping"?
I ask the question because "full duplex" puts a lot greater demand on the cross-polar isolation particularly at high modulation rates where C/I is key -

Very interesting you should ask the question about integrated antenna H/V switchable products. We have been giving this thought for a while. There is no doubt we **can** do this, and the obvious benefit that an operator can flick polarity remotely in case of interference, ducting etc. The downsides are price (significant but not appalling) and size (dual-pol MTI is larger). I know from debate elsewhere very few equipment vendors support that, or seem interested.
Comments from other users/operators on this is welcome -

Regards

CableFree Solutions

rickard
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:19 pm

Intresting subject :-)
I have big problems with my antennas, for my PtP links ,so i did a crasy thing. I did take a Stella Doradus feeder and i put it in a IKEA :-) metal Bowln :-) and guees what! i did get a perfect antenna :-) i have 24-26 dbi compered to a solid parabolic. But i did get rid of the inteferens from the other antennas from the Tower.The antenna looks like a drum antenna.
so i have tryed the antenna for 20 km and i workt perfect.
I can put up some pictures if somone is intrested:-)

//Rickard

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:39 pm

Hah!

Where are those pictures? ;)

At least you have to be an authority for this - a real Swedish guy building IKEA antennas :D

Best regards,
Christian Meis

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:02 pm

I had real problems getting 2 signals to pass through 2 different sets of Radiowave dual-pol parabolics and we have had problems with there 24db flat panels. Interested in trying some of the 23db MTI dual-pol antennas. Anyone know a good supplier who has stock?