Community discussions

MikroTik App

webfixnow
just joined
Topic Author

RBwAPG-60ad Real World Use and Feedback

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:25 am

Does anyone have any real world experience with RBwAPG-60ad?

I would like to know how much sustained traffic this can handle.

I'm wondering if this is suitable to connect 2 small office buildings that are very close together. Fiber or CAT6 whether aerial or in the ground aren't an option, if only it was that easy. I even recommended a micro-trench or hell even an asphalt speed bump (conduit inside) across the lots.

My Building B has the internet bandwidth via a Ubiquiti Airfiber 24ghz backhaul link off a nearby city center building.
Building B also has a Mimosa A5C that will be serving other business and residential subscribers via fixed point 5G.

What I don't want:
I don't want to treat Buildings A and C as subscribers of the A5C at 5.8Ghz as it wouldn't supply enough bandwidth to each building for tenant use (approx 20 in Building A and 4 in Building B).
I don't want to use 5.8Ghz PtP gear between the buildings because they are so close and would create noise for my A5C in my otherwise very clean spectrum.
I don't want to spend $2,000+ per link on 60Ghz/70Ghz/80Ghz gear for such short links.
I don't like IgniteNet MetroLinq, tried it, not a good experience with radios locking up and needing rebooted. I'm not a guinea pig anymore!

What I want to do (if the equipment is capable):
I would like to connect Building A to Building B and Building B to Building C using RBwAPG-60ad kits.

What is this product capable of?
Can it handle the traffic load?
Is oxygen absorption and rain fade even a concern at these close distances?

I've searched high and low for information. Anyone?

haik01

Re: RBwAPG-60ad Real World Use and Feedback

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Why do you think your 5,8 GHz link will create noise? If you separate the frequencies, it should not be a problem.

I would really really recommend a fibre between the buildings, dug into the ground. Heck, a professional company can do that in one day (for example Sunday, when no one is at work). They close everything back to original (including the asphalt, markings on the road etc....).
Yes, it will cost some money, but who much money it will cost when your dish solution does not work? You are on vacation (Hawaii, or the Caribean).... and they call you: Internet is down.... what to do now? Wait till you come back? HOw much people are involved, and how much money is spend on their unproductive hours?

Calculate how much it will cost to restore this. Assume 2 x per year a malfunction (wind / storm or snow). So not only the flights / transport back to the premises, but also your (and employees) unproductive hours, since they sit and do nothing and wait until someone will fix it.

Now compare to the fibre costs, which can be easily spread out over at least 10 - 15 years. Besides, you will sleep much better knowing it is working very well.
The fibre in the ground is usually an empty plastic pipe, and they blow a fibre (now) or an UTP whatever you want. Later (in a couple of years), some new fibre xxx will come out, and you can easy replace it without touching the street.

webfixnow
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 am

I could definitely use specific channels but I feel that at such a short distance the beamwidth of most equipment is pretty wide for my use case unless I use external antennas with smaller beamwidth and turn the power nearly all the way down. My A5C is using SRS and 5.8Ghz is whisper quiet other than what the A5C is using.

I do 100% agree with you about the fibre. We have done small jobs like this in 4 to 5 hours either micro-trenching or conduit. The owner of the buildings does not want to do it currently. I will need to have another discussion and really push hard for it I suppose.

Let's just put my plans aside for a minute and get back to discussing the Wireless Wire.

I can see the Wireless Wire being good in a pinch as a temporary solution.

To me, with the retail-like packaging it seems as if this is an attempt by Mikrotik to break into the Home or SOHO market.

When these new products come out you see videos boasting about them but nothing anywhere that really tears them down and beats them up. I'm just growing tired of buying products to test them out because a manufacturer really hasn't said one way or the other what type of market they are for. I can't even find any traffic load specifications for these anywhere.

Does anybody have any feedback about the performance of the Wireless Wire?

blingblouw

Re: RBwAPG-60ad Real World Use and Feedback  [SOLVED]

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 am

I have three sites hooked up (all less than. 100m) on ptp with WAP60.

Never had a drop and throughput is +-900mbps.

Literally not had an issue. They are great

webfixnow
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:30 am

Thank you for the feedback. I am encouraged to try them now. I will make a purchase and try it for myself now.

Bergante
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:44 pm

I got a pair three weeks ago. The distance is short (20 - 30 m) and I am just crossing a street.

The result is amazing so far. Roughly equivalent to digging a trench and laying a fiber from building to building.

In order to test I kept it running two simultanoeus unidirectional bandwidth tests (one from AP to client, the other one from client to AP) for an hour or so
and there were no dropped packets. The throughput was around 900 Mbps (remember, full duplex) and the limiting factor was
actually the CPU, each unit kept one of the CPU cores completely saturated.

If you have real line of sight the 60 GHz band is a big advantage because the chance of receiving any interference is really minimal.
And as a plus you don't need to be too careful with orientation, the beam forming antenna will take care of that.

In short, what's not to like? :)

MonkeyDan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:48 pm

We have nearly 40 pairs deployed, and as long as you keep it under 100m you'll see 960+ full-duplex.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 am

I did a test today of a 60Ghz 'out of the box' deployment over 130 meters. Aligning was simple, eye sight and that's it. From a laptop over the link via a Metrolinq 60Ghz link and 3 routers and a switch we ran 900+mbps download at peaks, around 800 mbps average and at the same time 250mbps upload to the same router. tcp bandwidth test! (Just open many, say 30 connections in each direction) and it ran for 5 minutes until actually the laptop crashed..... we tried again and everytime same results. You can even keep one unit in your hand and move it slightly and still hundreds of megabits flying up and down. Very impressive!
We are now planning a backbone structure with max. 150mtrs hops. For 130€/160usd per 150 meter segment (or in P2MP mode you can hook up more buildings in a 60º range) I don't see how fibre can even compete with that? 150mtrs glass plus the needed interfaces etc. already cost the same, let alone the conducts, trenching, permissions etc. etc.

And about reliability? Well, like some already said it's good, to very good. And if one unit fails, for 70€/90usd and 10 mins of work the unit is replaced. What if someone pulls that fibre apart? Or touches the terminations with a greasy finger?

No, for very short distances this has no more competition!

vladimirslk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Over fiber u have no limits in bandwidth, no statics, no power required, no possibility of part has been stolen. Up to 150m in most cases air bridge with fibre i see more prone. If mk will reach at least 800m that would be already interesting, concerning small scenaries... Well ok (: I am staying with fiber sofar

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:03 pm

This may be a silly question, but I've read through every webpage, brochure and document surrounding the RBwAPG-60ad and I can't seem to find a definite answer of if these devices can be mounted outdoors without any additional covers or cases.

Can these be mounted out in the elements and work fine?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, they can be used outdoors, and even include some plastic straps and a mounting plate, to attach to a pole for example.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Is there already any news about bigger 60ad (60Ghz) units? If we could be bridging distances around 500 meters up to 1km that would be great.
Based on the experience we have with the recent RBwAPG-60ad links we are dying to see more units hit the streets....

And what about an indoor 60Gbps AP (triple play; a/b/c/d/g/n, 3 radio's, 3 bands) and as supplement tiny usb powered ad cpe device. We could then finally break down the home wifi issues.....