Community discussions

MikroTik App

Korben
just joined
Topic Author

5GHz Wi-Fi problem on hAP ac lite

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 am

Hi.

I've faced the problem with 5 GHz Wi-Fi on my hAP ac lite router. Suddenly it dissapeared on my PC. It wasn't that stable all the time I've used it but at least I could connect and I could use it.
Now I even don't see 5 GHz AP - only 2.4. Nothing changed. It just dissapeared.
I thought it was my ASUS Wi-Fi adapter to blame and change it for ASUS PCI-E adapter but it didn't see 5 GHz AP too.
Then I thought ASUS adapters are bad and bought TP-Link and it doesn't see 5 GHz AP too.

Besides, all of my smartphones - 3 Samsung Galaxy's - use 5 GHz just fine. 2.4 GHz is stable for all devices as far as I could check.

I don't know what is wrong for me - Windows 10 or Mikrotik but I've checked those adapters on my laptop and the result was the same - no 5 GHz AP.

Tried reset to defaults and even flash latest firmware with netinstall - nothing helped.

Ready to give you any info.
Here's my interfaces config:
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface wireless export
# mar/12/2018 22:16:37 by RouterOS 6.41.2
# software id = YIL0-1FGX
#
# model = RouterBOARD 952Ui-5ac2nD
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys \
name=bro supplicant-identity="" wpa2-pre-shared-key=password
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce disabled=no distance=\
indoors frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge security-profile=bro ssid=APName2 wireless-protocol=\
802.11 wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce country=russia2 disabled=\
no distance=indoors frequency=auto frequency-mode=regulatory-domain mode=ap-bridge \
security-profile=bro ssid=APName tx-power=11 tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed \
wireless-protocol=unspecified wps-mode=disabled
/interface wireless nstreme
set wlan2 enable-polling=no
Thanks in advance.

haik01

Re: 5GHz Wi-Fi problem on hAP ac lite

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm

This should be 802.11. Normal PC's and phone cannot talk Mikrotik propriety protocol (unless you have flashed your Android phone with Router OS.... :D )

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Try setting 5G radio to a fixed channel. Don't know the implementation of MikroTik but it sure can help.

Korben
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:33 pm

This should be 802.11. Normal PC's and phone cannot talk Mikrotik propriety protocol (unless you have flashed your Android phone with Router OS.... :D )
Didn't get it. What should I do with nstreme? Disable or enable it? It's enabled by default. But I didn't ever touch this option so why it can be the reason?

Korben
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Try setting 5G radio to a fixed channel. Don't know the implementation of MikroTik but it sure can help.
Testes with all channels available. No result.

Kindis

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:59 am

Had simular issues with my wAP AC but noticed in the log after a while that it said radar detect and tried another channel and then loop. Added a channel that does not require radar scan here. This made 5 Ghz stabil for me.

Korben
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Had simular issues with my wAP AC but noticed in the log after a while that it said radar detect and tried another channel and then loop. Added a channel that does not require radar scan here. This made 5 Ghz stabil for me.
What channel did you choose?

http://prntscr.com/ist7is

WirtelPL

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 am

First choose 20/40 MHz Ce and use Snooper https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... ss#Snooper to specify best channel. If they do not help, then you can try to broaden the bandwidth: 20/40/80 MHz Ceee or eeeC.
On the screen you don't show channels, but bandwidth.

Also set wireless protocol as 802.11.

haik01

Re: 5GHz Wi-Fi problem on hAP ac lite  [SOLVED]

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:48 pm

nstream and nv2 are Mikrotik propriety protocols which will work ONLY between two Mikrotik's. It will NOT work betwen a mobile phone / tablet / laptop and Mikrotik AP.

These protocols are used for point to point connections.

So set it to 802.11 protocol, so every phone / tablet will recognize it.

Korben
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 am

nstream and nv2 are Mikrotik propriety protocols which will work ONLY between two Mikrotik's. It will NOT work betwen a mobile phone / tablet / laptop and Mikrotik AP.

These protocols are used for point to point connections.

So set it to 802.11 protocol, so every phone / tablet will recognize it.
It's disabled by default: http://prntscr.com/itm53l

Korben
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:34 am

First choose 20/40 MHz Ce and use Snooper https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... ss#Snooper to specify best channel. If they do not help, then you can try to broaden the bandwidth: 20/40/80 MHz Ceee or eeeC.
On the screen you don't show channels, but bandwidth.

Also set wireless protocol as 802.11.
802.11 already set.
Snooper results: http://prntscr.com/itm60q - nothing special I guess - but after I've chosen 5220 freq. my AP became visible and I could connect!

Thank you!

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Similar problem here in the UK. The default for frequency is auto and the 5GHz signal isn't visible on either my laptop or mobile. Changed the frequency to 5180 and it appears. It will be to do I suspect with the allowed channels - and the auto channel will be going too high. I need to read up on DFS?

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/arti ... -uk-part-2

Cheers, Rob.

PS. I set the country from the default of etis to uk and then auto appears to work.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Quick follow-up, the default country is etis allows the auto setting to wander up into the DFS spectrum range. You can select status on the Wi-Fi interface and see what channel it's selected. It's picking 5640 for me right now. Neither my mobile or laptop can use this channel. But setting to United Kingdom controls which channels auto can use.