Topic Author

Setting up 2nd tower new area

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:04 pm

:lol: :?: :shock:
Need a bit of new info
we already have a tower up and running with is fine But
as we putting up a new one in a new area i would like to improve it then our
current setup with using 4 120' sectors doing a + - radius of 5km

1 like what distance should the sectors be from each other as our old tower they are only 500mm from each other?
2 using rb500 with 4 r52 cards running the 2.4ghz band as old system is a
rb500 with 4 r52 cards running 2.4ghz with 4 1w boosters witch i want to
drop as our noise level is to high
3 we try to use a block of flats on top of the lift shaft witch our current tower is 9 floors high

so i know everyone has different ideas but there must be sum sort of a basic setup to how the sectors should be setup and how long the cables can be to have easy access to the rb500
as i have learnt a lot on this forum on how to use mikrotik as from being
a beginner to where we are now just waiting for mikrotik to have a couse here this year i will be there only there is not much about setting up the tower it self

thanks all for the great info

Sidney
8)

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:34 pm

4 * 120 = 480 degrees ?!?

you only require 4 * 90 = 360 degrees
I would recommend that your antenna placement be 32 inches or more apart from one another.

If you run r52 cards and the radio placement is within 10 feet of the tower you could use default power of 17db from the radios and use 16db sectors which would give you 33 db ierp (approx).

Be sure to use grounded metal enclosures so the radios are sufficiently shielded. I would even go so far as to use 1 RB for each radio, each in their own metal enclosure so that you can reduce the interference between the radios.

This should give you great coverage.
Be sure to downtilt the Sectors sufficiently to give you your required coverage for the area you wish to cover.

If the vertical beam width is 14 degrees downtilt for Long distance coverage would be 7-8 degrees.

for close range coverage you would have to do the math based on the area you wish to cover.

Regards,
tgrand

sidney
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks as we were told using 4 120' then you won't have gaps futher away but on first tower i have disabled one of the cards just using 3 120' sectors witch is much better but all 3 cards are in one rb
i must just still get rid of the boosters but don't want to drop our clients just yet as i need to make up new cables and move the sectors futher apart from each other

i will look at using then 3 rb for each radio then would one use ether1 as your main internet point and then ether2 to jump to the other rb and so on

Thanks again for input

Sidney 8) [/quote]

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:04 pm

How you wire them would be dependant on your preferences.

Personally I run a seperate ethernet cable for each RB into a switch and the traffic then goes through a PC based ROS used as a management/edge router.

The switch and management router are of course at ground level.