Community discussions

MikroTik App

sauliusB
just joined
Topic Author

Questions on Antenna Compatibility

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:07 am

Is there list of external antenna compatibility for HAP AC?

Does any current MikroTik external antenna fit with this router?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Questions on Antenna Compatibility

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm

This device has an integrated antenna. There is no external antenna connector.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

sauliusB
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 am

Normis,

Thank you for information, but in such case what marked connectors are used for?

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am

Normis, Thank you for information, but in such case what marked connectors are used for?
Have you read manul? Maybe it is time for it :)

Third chain of each band can have the antenna changed to a different one, there are two uFL connectors
inside the case, each has a small antenna connected. You can unplug these antennas, and change the
third chain to your own antenna. In most situations this is not required, so the connector is not easily
accessible or marked.
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator

sauliusB
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 am

honzam,

Thank you for information and I understand that antennas on chain 2 can be replaced, but the question was little bit different...

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:35 pm

I've had very good results with RF Elements Stationbox and their standard 2.4 / 5 GHz antennas. Unfortunately the standard case is a bit too small for any serious antenna upgrades.

sauliusB
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 pm

R1CH

Thank you for information...

But what about those connectors I've marked before?

Have you been able to test if they active or just dummy thing?

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Mikrotik claims those are factory test points. I don't think much will happen if you connect an antenna to them but you are welcome to try!

esquirrel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:24 pm

The add on'collinear' style antennas you have are likely designed only for 2400 MHz and they are not designed to fold flat against a metallic PCB like you have them. They would work well (on 2.4 GHz) if allowed to point straight down (I'm perhaps mistakenly assuming the AP is mounted to the ceiling from your case there). It might look funny if the ceiling wasn't a fairly high one.

Depending on your budget and your DIY-vs buy attitudes, its hard to say what you should do.

You could go to Mouser Electronics, Digi-Key, etc, and see what they have - some are planar and self-adhesive. They can be bought with u.fl pigtails included.

You can buy aftermarket antennas that fit in almost any shape, but keep in mind what their datasheets say especially about whether they need a ground plane.

Since you have two connectors you might have the best luck with two - both being offset by an angle.

Frankly, if I were you, unless you are having problems, I would stick with the ones supplied in the unit (they are the two loops of flat metal in the right upper and lower corners of the unit) unless they are inadequate to your setup.

They seem likely to be a good compromise given the space constraints. If the signal is getting lost, simply pulling the antenna outward might help, remember it was designed to fit into a fairly small box. Since you already have removed the PCB from the box, have you tried moving them around a bit? (specifically pulling them outward so they stick out a bit more, but not so hard that they get seriously bent and cannot go nicely back into their box if later on your decide to do that.)