Community discussions

MikroTik App

esquirrel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

WiFi Regulatory requirements for DPRK?

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:48 am

While performing the setup for my wifi-router I noticed that it has a regulatory setting for the DPRK (better known in some areas as North Korea) Having followed the situation in the country for some time I am curious about this, as I am sure many are. Did they actually publish wifi regulations with the ITU or whomever the international body is that registers them? If so are they any different than other countries? Or did you simply give them a slot for hopefully future use?

BTW it is my understanding that (only) in the portion of Pyongyang where there are foreign embassies, some wifi signals are visible, and also that the government has published regulations on wifi excusively for their use, however it is under the condition that it not be shared with employees of the embassies or anybody else. Its likely that there is also wifi at the compounds of the Kim family and other elites around the country. Maybe this has changed in the last few years but I would be very surprised if that was the case. It certainly would be a huge change if it did.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: WiFi Regulatory requirements for DPRK?

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm

This information comes from the Qualcomm wifi chipset driver, we do not know where these "requirements" came from, it is possible it is just a generic list assigned to the country name.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

esquirrel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: WiFi Regulatory requirements for DPRK?

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm

That answers my question,

*Thank you!*

Here is a recent article about the very limited wifi access that it seems does exist, that I just found..

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/1992 ... izens-dont