Community discussions

MikroTik App

sjafka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

2.4Ghz Guest wifi

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 pm

Dead Mikrotik Community, [PLEASE READ THE 3. ENTRY - this is nonsense what i wrote here :) thank you]

i need help from you! I set up 3 hap mini-s with (virtual) secondary SSID (guest wifi).
The main ssid and the secondary are the same for the 3 AP-s. (like the main ssid is like : office and the secondary is: officeguest and all the 3 AP-s this is the same)

Now if i connect to the guest, its okay, i have internet etc, but! now it began to do so -> if i connect now either i dont have internet or if i have, than my laptop does connect to an other one (with much weaker signal) and this is goind on endlessly -> connects to an other AP -> no internet full signal -> connects to the (i think the first i ever connected) AP which has lower signal.

How can i identify the problem, how can i stop this!

and what i see: if i check the network with a wifi analyzer software, i see that for the 3 AP-s the "guest ssid" shows up at the first ap, than a lil bit later at the second and later for the third AP.
Like it would wander around, everytime only ONE AP shows the guest SSID and its wandering! Help me please!
Last edited by sjafka on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: 2.4Ghz Guest wifi

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:04 pm

From your description I have no idea what is going on. You need to post more details. What is your network design? You have three APs but how are they connected? How many networks do you have? Where is the DHCP server? Do you have CAPsMAN running? What channels are you using? Et cetera. You can also post the configuration using the export command. You can sanitize names and other details if necessary.

How are you debugging this? How do you know where your laptop is connected? What are you looking at? Is DHCP working? Can you ping the router?

What Wi-Fi analyzer are you using? It is normal to see SSIDs popping up as the beacons are received. Do you mean the SSID disappears from the former APs as it appears on a new one?

There are lots of questions but without more details no-one will be able to help you.

sjafka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: 2.4Ghz Guest wifi

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Thank you for your answer.

Yes i know, i thought this wont be enough, i just wanted to be fast, 'cuz im working since days and im tired AF.

Sooooooooo

Basically: There is the main router: two VLAN's. On one vlan there is no dhcp (this is the main segment for my network) set up in the router, this job does a windows server, the other VLAN has a DHCP server. The main router goes into a switch and every AP's connect to a port where VLAN1 and VLAN2 are tagged (but i dont think this has to do anything with my case, but maybe!).

The AP's are set up to get from one port two VLANS; this mean all the AP's are tagged VLAN1 and VLAN2.

So basically then "office" SSID should give you internal ip address (and under internal i mean that they can access files on the server,etc) and the "office guest" ssid gives you "external" ssid where the users can "surf the web" but have no access to the internal network(where the server etc is/are).

All the 3 AP's have TWO ssid-s, one "office" and "office guest" and the ssid is the same for all 3 AP( AP1 two ssid: office and office guest, AP2 two ssid: office and office guest AP3 two ssid: office and office guest)

So, i wanted to connect to one of the ssid-s, and i got no internet connection, later i did get for a small time, than again no internet. I saw (windows10 on my notebook) that the wireless indicator shows me FULL and than later very WEAK signal. Than i started my wifi analyzer (from the windows store,the same app whats available on android) and i saw that the "officeguest" ssid is "jumping from AP to AP.... i set it up like AP1 channel1, AP2 channel6, AP3 channel11 so i could see, only ONE "office guest" ssid is visible at the time and its jumping from AP to AP, while the 3 "office" ssid-s are every time visible.

Hmmm, im really tired, so i think i will stop here if someone took the time and effort to read it until now and you guys miss any more information, please write, i will provide it to you :)

Thank you really much your time!

sjafka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: 2.4Ghz Guest wifi  [SOLVED]

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you Petri for your time!
We figured it out: after completing the config for the first AP i did an export file=filename and did restore this config on the other AP's.
What i didnt knew, if you make a virtual interface and it has a MAC address than u clone the MAC too... all the "guest"s had the same MAC.

Lesson learned for life.

Thank you again Petri!
Have a nice day everyone!