MikroTik App

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Nstreme dual - half way thru ...

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:11 pm

Hello,

sorry to post once again about Nstreme dual. I searched forums, found some answers, so I was able to "get it running", but the trouble is, it does not run optimal.

Well, guys, bear with me - I never wanted to touch routing/networking in IT sector, but I did. Thanks to MT even I am able to build some network.

Well, the network grows, and we have central line on 10GHz already (that was bought by our ISP (partner)). But we need to connect one node faster - let's say 15Mbit full duplex.

So - Nstreme dual came to my mind. I wanted to do my first tries with 2x RB532. I put them on the table, upgraded to latest version, and configured it to get Nstreme dual running, and here comes my questions:

- the area I have the least experience, is radio parts. I read in another thread, that signal around -40 is too strong? Should I decrease the power?

- could above be reason why I get 3 - 8ms response to ping, even if two reouterboards lay on one table, side-by-side? I would expect 0ms

- I experienced strange behavior, when one end was telling me, that is is connected (green diode), while second RB still showed grey diode on the corresponding tab. Why it is so? I rebooted and it was OK then. Still I think it is some kind of bug, no? Why should reboot correct the situation?

- other setup - I put created nstreme virtual interface into bridge with eth1 on both machines. Then I run bandwidth test. I was getting 9 - 12 mbit full-duplex only, it showed something like 2000pps. Is that because of misconfiguration? My brother told me, that such an trhoughput he got from our typically running nodes, using single radio on 5GHz. I have to have something set incorrectly (judging about the latency mentioned above)

- what mode do you suggest? I tried only bridged mode, but then with conntrack turned on, and off, but no significant difference. CPU at 100% of course.
-----------------------------------------

Well, can't wait for MT to release faster routerboard. In the meantime, I am going to renew my experiments with mini-itx (or nano-itx) boards. We used them in our kiosk systems. Well, and I don't even buy the BS about using VIA or realtek, at least not for the radio. I know about particular problems with CLE266 chipset, but that one is really an old beast.

I might try via board featuring C7 CPU and 8237 southbridge. As for cooling, someone from CableFree? company stated that already clearly - you need low power consumption boards. I have enough experience with our kiosks - first we thought it is problem to heat them in the winter (-30C), but later on we found out, that the problem is actually to cool them enough in the summer :-) I might prefer board with fanless CPU, otoh I am not sure. Even small fan might help, and helps. The trouble is, that our experience shows, that even industry grade ventilators (220V) might be faulty - we lost 2 in 2 months in 1 kiosk, it overheated and PC turned off. So we produced internet-aware device, which is able to measure temperature, prevent PC from turning on, unless there is enough of temperature inside, etc.

Interesting times ahead and hopefully we don't have to give up to wired solutions, yet :-)

Thanks & best regards,
Petr