Community discussions

MikroTik App

Zeddomazed
just joined
Topic Author

Choosing router

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:54 pm

I'm really torn choosing between RB951G, AC lite and AC2 and I'm not sure which one is the best in terms of wireless signal. It will be used only for my 60 sqm home. Have one 4.5 inch cement wall, 10 meters from my desktop to the router, and I'm wondering which router would be best suited for. I won't need the gigabit ports since it will be used all for the Wi-fi and about 5-6 devices connected at all times.
Reading some topics about the AC2 being not so good in the wireless deparment makes me have some doubts since it was my first choice. I am a total noob and will be using the ROS as a hobby to learn it.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Choosing router

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 pm

I believe that hap ac2 will get better software soon. The main question is, if you just want to share access to Internet over the WiFi to your devices and how much are you interested in data transfer between them. Also how much are you interested in ether ports. Maybe wap ac could be better device for you.

Zeddomazed
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 am

I believe that hap ac2 will get better software soon. The main question is, if you just want to share access to Internet over the WiFi to your devices and how much are you interested in data transfer between them. Also how much are you interested in ether ports. Maybe wap ac could be better device for you.
I won't be using the ethernet ports soon but maybe I will find a better solution later.
I'm looking forward to learn ROS, and one of the main reasons I want a mikrotik.
Not interested in only sharing access but restricting bandwidth,and if I go with the ac2 I would like to have 2 networks one 2.4 and one 5 ghz

Kerbia
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:57 am

signal strength of the hap ac² is really awesome imo, and yeah i hope and expect higher transfer rates.

you will fall in love with mikrotik, but learning router os is tough at the beginning. but you grow after a while ;).

womentake
just joined

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:15 am

Hello,hap ac2 seems logic. I have been also searching about options and decided to purchase this one.