Community discussions

MikroTik App

pshishkanov
just joined
Topic Author

Help with MikroTik mAp lite reset to default settings.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Hello. I bought my first MicroTik router MikroTik mAp lite and after of failed settings my home device not visible router by WiFi. I tried resetting to factory settings, but I couldn't. Can someone explain when and how long to hold the reset button?

WirtelPL

Re: Help with MikroTik mAp lite reset to default settings.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 am

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset_button
Also, set wlan interface protocol to 802.11.

san7777
just joined

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:47 pm

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset_button
Also, set wlan interface protocol to 802.11.
Hi! I have te same problem and it seems that reset button is not working in my case. I'm holding it for a very long time but leds are not blinking(thee of them are always on - pwr, ap/cap, eth).
Please give an advise what to do/
Thanks

johnw
just joined

Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:22 pm

That page on how to reset your router desperately needs re-working to make it unambiguous and bring it into line with reality.

I too am struggling with resetting a mAp lite. From reading around it seems that:

1. Pressing the reset button before applying power uses the backup boot loader
2. Pressing it just after applying power uses the primary boot loader

I'd appreciate if anyone who actually knows can say whether this is right or not.

After that there's a short period where nothing seems to happen. Not sure what would happen if you released it in this period.

Then after about 5 seconds you get two LEDs flashing alternately - the WiFi one and the AP/CAP one. Releasing it during this period produces some sort of reset, but it's not clear what. The reset device picks up an IP address through its Ethernet port, but will not respond to any attempt to configure it through there. Presumably it regards this as its WAN connection. However, the WiFi is also off, so there then seems to be no way to connect to it to take control.

After about 5 seconds more, the flashing goes to just the AP/CAP light flashing - no longer alternating with the other one. If you release in this period it resets in CAP mode. Again it picks up an IP address through its Ethernet port and now you can get in (via any method, through the Ethernet port) to configure it. Still no WiFI though so you have to explicitly turn that on. Doing a system reset via command line or web interface seems to take you back to the same as the previous option - still useless.

If you wait longer still it appears to go into Netinstall mode. Unfortunately the NetInstall server is Windows only so I have no way of playing with that.

So, as far as I can make out, the only useful way of resetting it is to go for the CAP mode one, then manually change things back to what should be the factory settings. A real pain.

matsky
just joined

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:54 am

That page on how to reset your router desperately needs re-working to make it unambiguous and bring it into line with reality.

I too am struggling with resetting a mAp lite. From reading around it seems that:

I'd appreciate if anyone who actually knows can say whether this is right or not.

After that there's a short period where nothing seems to happen. Not sure what would happen if you released it in this period.

Then after about 5 seconds you get two LEDs flashing alternately - the WiFi one and the AP/CAP one. Releasing it during this period produces some sort of reset, but it's not clear what. The reset device picks up an IP address through its Ethernet port, but will not respond to any attempt to configure it through there. Presumably it regards this as its WAN connection. However, the WiFi is also off, so there then seems to be no way to connect to it to take control.

After about 5 seconds more, the flashing goes to just the AP/CAP light flashing - no longer alternating with the other one. If you release in this period it resets in CAP mode. Again it picks up an IP address through its Ethernet port and now you can get in (via any method, through the Ethernet port) to configure it. Still no WiFI though so you have to explicitly turn that on. Doing a system reset via command line or web interface seems to take you back to the same as the previous option - still useless.

If you wait longer still it appears to go into Netinstall mode. Unfortunately the NetInstall server is Windows only so I have no way of playing with that.

So, as far as I can make out, the only useful way of resetting it is to go for the CAP mode one, then manually change things back to what should be the factory settings. A real pain.
I try this, but no result.
At any time i am have one "picture":
PWR led on, ETH flashing, AP/CP led on
After ~1-2 sec: PWR led on, ETH flashing, WIFI led on
PWR led on. ~5 sec
and in a circle.

On laptop eth up and down...

EduCampi
just joined

Wed May 19, 2021 11:43 pm

Running into the same issue, unable to connect nor reset it.

Did anyone here managed to do it?
I've read reviews in amazon an other places of people running into the same issue.

From all the instructions I saw, the most promising were about holding the reset button until lights blinked between AP/CAP and wifi, but I 'm still not seeing the default Wireless network to connect to.
Can't connect using WinBox either cause it says RoMON is not enabled for the Wired MAC.

Not sure what else to try tbh.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 20, 2021 6:25 pm

From the mAP Lite user manual: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/mAP+lite

Buttons and jumpers
RouterBOOT reset button has the following functions:

Hold the button before powering on the device, and at power-up, the button will force load the backup boot loader. Continue holding the button for the other two functions of this button.
Release the button when green LED starts flashing, to reset RouterOS configuration. To not load the backup boot loader, you can start holding the button after power is already applied.
Release the button after LED is no longer flashing (~20 seconds) to cause the device to look for Netinstall servers (required for reinstalling RouterOS over the network).

Regardless of the above option used, the system will load the backup RouterBOOT loader if the button is pressed before power is applied to the device. Useful for RouterBOOT debugging and recovery.
Unkess changed via System->RouterBoard->Settings: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:R ... ode_button

digitalarch
just joined

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:46 am

Hi,
I found the issue. The mAP was in network boot mode and this will reboot the device every few seconds to find a PXE server. Windows has a bad network setup if hyper-v is enabled that seems to work but actually it doesn't. I used Linux and ran the netinstall and it completed properly as well as giving good logging while executing. After this the device worked perfectly.

gowhari
just joined

Wed May 11, 2022 1:05 pm

I can exactly confirm what johnw said:

This is what I did to reset it. It will not exactly reset but at least give it an IP:
  1. Disconnect the power cord from the unit.
  2. Hold the reset button and do not release.
  3. Plug the power cord in and wait until:
    1. AP/CAP and WiFi LEDs blink alternately (still hold button)
    2. AP/CAP only blink (now release button) (about t=11 sec)
    3. AP/CAP will blink multiple times very fast
    4. Don't disconnect the power
    5. Wait until you see something like a reset:
    6. AP/CAP, ETH and WiFi blink together (t=36 sec)
    7. Only AP/CAP blinks (t=48 sec)
    8. AP/CAP fixed (t=60)
  4. Disconnect power and connect it to a DHCP router via LAN
Now it should get an IP from DHCP and you can connect to and reset it by:
/system reset-configuration

peterda

Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:33 pm

I am struggling with my mAP lite as well.
After upgrading to ROS 7.8 and configuring it, port ether1 is not connecting to any device i throw at it.
Ether1 has an IP address and is not bridged and is configured as a LAN port in interface list.
I wanted ROS 7.8 because of wireguard as a VPN home configuration, but did not come that far.
Tried to connect it to a hEX S, Cisco Catalyst, Apple thunderbolt NIC etc. with ether1 but it refuses to connect.
On a Cisco catalyst i tried to force ether1 to use 100M/Bit and various duplex settings, no joy.

When (trying) to reset it, nothing helps, i tried for several hours now and probably nuked the/a configuration anyway.
It ends up with the power led on, eth1 led blinking once and a while and the AP/CAP led flashing like crazy.

Btw, i have tried netinstall, but no luck there either.

But.... if some one has a good tip, please let me know.

To those who want an export of the config, please do not ask for it, i do not have it and cannot access the damn thing to get it.

I will probably bin it and wait for a new small form factor device to emerge.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:08 pm

You must use netinstall 6.48.6 and RouterOS mipsbe 6.48.6 for revert back what you done.

What you expect from 16M Flash / 64M RAM very old device?

If the device is not broken (and you do it correctly) is everytime possible to revert back with netinstall to one working version.

If you update the bootloader, try to use netinstall v7 to install routeros mipsbe 6.48.6

peterda

Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:15 pm

Thanks for your reply!
I will try some more if i have the time and energy to do so.

Cheers!

peterda

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:37 pm

I connected the mAP lite to a POE switch (Cisco Catalyst) and when power by it, it also enabled ether1.
This way i could downgrade the mAP lite and get it to work again.
Netinstall 6 or 7 did not work, but that could be me :)

peterda

Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:04 pm

Just a thought, maybe someone at the MT staff will pick it up.

I have this mAP lite , that still is a current product, that does not work with ROS7.8 (7.x?)
It worked with 7.8 with quarks with the ethernet port that did not behave well.
Will there be a fix for this?
There is no other MT product i can buy that is so conveniant as this little raskel.

My use case is wireguard as this is awesome and works really well with my other MT’s and plethora of clients.
I do not care about ROS 7.8 on the mAP lite, i care about wireguard… backport to ROS 6.x? :wink:
It is either support the mAP lite as a current product, launch a new one or have customers that have current devices with no real support on those (bad :cry: )

Anyways, regards

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:06 pm

My map lite works just fine on 7.8.
Incl wireguard.

peterda

Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:20 pm

Than it has to be my unit that is not working as it should.
Maybe a hardware issue or something like that.
I will test with an upgade, and see how that works out.

Cheers , Peter

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:14 pm

I also had one in the past with a bust ether port.
Still worked using wireless.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:06 pm

Than it has to be my unit that is not working as it should.
Maybe a hardware issue or something like that.
I will test with an upgade, and see how that works out.
You might want to consider netinstall.
Make sure you first export your config completely.
Don't import the backup, use the exported config to bring settings back.

veegee
just joined

Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:49 pm

I can exactly confirm what johnw said:

This is what I did to reset it. It will not exactly reset but at least give it an IP:
  1. Disconnect the power cord from the unit.
  2. Hold the reset button and do not release.
  3. Plug the power cord in and wait until:
    1. AP/CAP and WiFi LEDs blink alternately (still hold button)
    2. AP/CAP only blink (now release button) (about t=11 sec)
    3. AP/CAP will blink multiple times very fast
    4. Don't disconnect the power
    5. Wait until you see something like a reset:
    6. AP/CAP, ETH and WiFi blink together (t=36 sec)
    7. Only AP/CAP blinks (t=48 sec)
    8. AP/CAP fixed (t=60)
  4. Disconnect power and connect it to a DHCP router via LAN
Now it should get an IP from DHCP and you can connect to and reset it by:
/system reset-configuration
This is the correct procedure and how the manual should be written. The manual is garbage. Why don't they just make it a wiki so we can update it if they're too lazy to?

Thank you for posting this.