MikroTik App

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Abnormal latency on APs

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:24 pm

AP:
MK112 with prism 2,5 card. 12 connectred clients. And latency si around 2-6 ms. It is very cool but not for long time. A rest of time the latency is around 150 - 400 ms.

If latency is 2-6 ms the throughput could be higher with no roblem. 1200 / 500 kbps

If latency is high the throughput coldn`t be higher than 300-400 kbps.
Defauld forward is disabled, broadcast is filtered with netbios, too.The connections are limited for 150 / user!

And the are a lot of droped packets!I tryed to change the frequency too. It is the same.

I tryed change ROS version. I tryed beta v. too. It is the same!

This problem is not only on thi one AP. I thought:the problem is witch cm9 wlan card.I changed it for Prism 2.5. It is the same.

Please help!!!!!

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Abnormal latency on APs

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:37 pm

AP:
MK112 with prism 2,5 card. 12 connectred clients. And latency si around 2-6 ms. It is very cool but not for long time. A rest of time the latency is around 150 - 400 ms.

If latency is 2-6 ms the throughput could be higher with no roblem. 1200 / 500 kbps

If latency is high the throughput coldn`t be higher than 300-400 kbps.
Defauld forward is disabled, broadcast is filtered with netbios, too.The connections are limited for 150 / user!

And the are a lot of droped packets!I tryed to change the frequency too. It is the same.

I tryed change ROS version. I tryed beta v. too. It is the same!

This problem is not only on thi one AP. I thought:the problem is witch cm9 wlan card.I changed it for Prism 2.5. It is the same.

Please help!!!!!

LAN and Wlan interfaces are bridged!

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:01 pm

The RB112 can't fully utilize your radios (especially not PRISM cards!). You need RB5xx do this kind of setup.

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:03 pm

The RB112 can't fully utilize your radios (especially not PRISM cards!). You need RB5xx do this kind of setup.
On the 2 lines I have RB 532 with the same configuration. And the problem is the same!

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:04 pm

On the 2 lines I have RB 532 with the same configuration. And the problem is the same!

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:53 pm

Where are you seeing packet drops? How do you measure it?
What's you configuration?

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:09 am

Where are you seeing packet drops? How do you measure it?
Where are you seeing packet drops ?

Some pings are droped if i`am trying ping connected client on AP! around 20 %

With ping command on the command line

What kind of configuration you mean? I use 2.4 GHz B

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:21 am

What's the load at the time? What's the response time? Exactly what kind of client are you pinging? What is the AP wireless configuration?

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 am

What's the load at the time? What's the response time? Exactly what kind of client are you pinging? What is the AP wireless configuration?
cpu load is around 20 %

ping for ethernet interface is all right!

the clients are ovislink 1120,5450,5460

name=" XXXXXXXX " mtu=1500 mac-address=00:02:6F:xx:xx:xx arp=enabled 
      disable-running-check=no interface-type=Prism prism-cardtype=100mW 
      radio-name="XXXXXXXX" mode=ap-bridge ssid="XXXXXXXX" area="" 
      frequency-mode=manual-txpower country=rusia antenna-gain=0 
      frequency=2427 band=2.4ghz-b scan-list=default rate-set=default 
      supported-rates-b=1Mbps,2Mbps basic-rates-b=1Mbps,2Mbps 
      max-station-count=2007 tx-power-mode=default 
      periodic-calibration=enabled periodic-calibration-interval=60 
      dfs-mode=none antenna-mode=ant-a wds-mode=disabled 
      wds-default-bridge=none wds-default-cost=100 wds-cost-range=50-150 
      wds-ignore-ssid=no update-stats-interval=disabled 
      default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=no default-ap-tx-limit=0 
      default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=default 
      disconnect-timeout=3s on-fail-retry-time=300ms compression=no 
      allow-sharedkey=no 

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:16 pm

AP:
You can get some helpful information by doubleclcking on an entry in the wireless/registration table and looking at the Statistics tab regarding what is happening below layer 3.

Pay close attention to Tx/Rx Frames vx. TX/Rx HW Frames. For a good connection, they will be identical, even if in the millions or higher.

Further, local interference in a neighborhood may mean different service levels across the coverage area of the AP (if, e.g., said AP covers multiple neighborhoods), so optimizing cell size (and thus your exposure to multiple sources of interference) can be an issue.

Solve the lower layer problems and the layer 3 starts working magically unless you are dropping the packets yourself.

regards/ldv

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:30 pm

If you cycle between times of good latency and poor latency, look for the cause of the cycle.

A single cycle (a single occurrence) can be more difficult to diagnose than a repetitive cycle, but you wind up looking at the data to find out what changed (changes) at the inflection point(s) or executing a series of SWAGs.

Turn on wireless logging and look at the log file as well as the Statistics tab for particular connections under wireless/registration-table.

best regards/ldv

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:30 pm

If you cycle between times of good latency and poor latency, look for the cause of the cycle.

A single cycle (a single occurrence) can be more difficult to diagnose than a repetitive cycle, but you wind up looking at the data to find out what changed (changes) at the inflection point(s) or executing a series of SWAGs.

Turn on wireless logging and look at the log file as well as the Statistics tab for particular connections under wireless/registration-table.

best regards/ldv
The cycle between times of good latency and poor latency is not equal.Usualy the problems with poor latency are at night.

the severance betwen Tx/Rx Frames vx. TX/Rx HW Frames are monimal. RX frames are equal. TX is little different ...Very little

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:48 pm

is there fog or other moisture in air at nights?

or some other hot/cold air layer anomalies?

they can cause high ping too.

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:31 pm

is there fog or other moisture in air at nights?

or some other hot/cold air layer anomalies?

they can cause high ping too.
No, the weather is fayn!

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:11 pm

the severance betwen Tx/Rx Frames vx. TX/Rx HW Frames are monimal. RX frames are equal. TX is little different ...Very little
Were the ping times good or poor when you took that lab note?

Whether good or bad, did you make a second lab note regarding the opposite condition?

If so, what was that result?

regards/ldv

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Whether good or bad, did you make a second lab note regarding the opposite condition?

regards/ldv

Sorry, I don`t understand what you said

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:51 am

Sorry, I don`t understand what you said
1. Please reply with lab notes regarding:

Tx/Rx Frames vs. Tx/Rx HW Frames

1a). under good conditions (good ping times)

and

1b). under poor conditions (poor ping times).

2. Please turn on/enable wireless under Winbox/system/logging and check said syslog for interesting (i.e., not nominal) entries during times of poor conditions (poor ping times).

regards/ldv

kleber
just joined

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:32 pm

The problem is card, cm9 and prism card is not good for ap. The best card for ap is orinoco, but MKT no support is.

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:41 pm

The problem is card, cm9 and prism card is not good for ap. The best card for ap is orinoco, but MKT no support is.
What kind of orinoco? Can you write current type?

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:36 pm

What kind of orinoco? Can you write current type?
I heard so the best effort for AP whit MK is mini PCI card with prism 2,5 chipset.

Who can confirm it?

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:16 pm

I heard so the best effort for AP whit MK is mini PCI card with prism 2,5 chipset.
That is an old myth since before Atheros cards were plentiful.

And ORiNOCO 11b cards reset whenever they are hit with short-rf preamble packets. And if you buy a batch of them, they fall apart at roughly the same time (indicating they are designed to break down).

golobulus
just joined

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:03 pm

Hello,

I have smiliar problems on my network.

I am using RB-532A everywhere as APs and different platforms as a clients, including MT loaded on wrapboards. I have point-to-point 5GHz connection between main nodes of the network and they are performing flawlessly.
I am using static routing everywhere, no bridging. For the clients I'm using 2.4GHz frequency range.

Most of my clients are constantly streaming video at ~250kbit/s as I am providing monitoring service. I would only have three or four clients on an AP. The problem occurs when I have more than two clients on one AP.

I have tried everything I could think of. The signal strength is always above -70dbm. There is no one else using the same or neighbouring frequencies.
Torch is only showing the traffic I know about (I tried torching while poor as well as good network performance).

I have found, however one thing that is not right according to one of the previous posts. THe Tx/Rx Frames and TX/Rx HW Frames are totally different on some of the interfaces.
What does it mean and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Regards

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 pm

Now I have latency around 300 ms! That is horrible!!!!!!

What is the best MINI PCI CARD for mikrotik AP 2,4 GHz. because this parameters which i have now can provide simple ovislink 1120 .

tully
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:42 pm

As usual, your rate settings are all messed up. A /system reset is probably easiest.

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:35 pm

As usual, your rate settings are all messed up. A /system reset is probably easiest.
System reboot helps no more than 5 minutes... Reboot is not solving !

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:30 am

System reboot helps no more than 5 minutes... Reboot is not solving !
I'll bet you $100 that John meant for you to key in

/system reset

at the CLI prompt.

John's from Memphis IIRC and may therefore like his BBQ sauce to have a little vinegar and I'm almost as certain that John would have written

/system reboot

if his intent was to get you to reboot the box.

You get the CLI command prompt if you SSH to the box or click on "New Terminal" in Winbox.

ACHTUNG ALLESLOOKENSPEEPERS!

Invoking '/system reset' at the CLI command prompt will return your box to a factory default configuration. Please be prepared to take control again and reconfigure your box as you did when you first received the box.

regards/ldv

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:42 pm

If I want solving my problem with latency, I must reset my routerroart to default and reconfigure it?

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:22 pm

If I want solving my problem with latency, I must reset my routerroart to default and reconfigure it?
The founder of MikroTik (John Tully) suggested that in your case; sometimes, it is the only (read: faster) way to find a typo or mischeck.

regards/ldv

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:45 pm

The founder of MikroTik (John Tully) suggested that in your case; sometimes, it is the only (read: faster) way to find a typo or mischeck.

regards/ldv
I tryed reset.. but it not hepls

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:53 pm

What is the configuration now then?

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:04 pm

The same

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 pm

The same
I'd like to suggest that you:

. export your configuration
. redact any proprietary information
. post it on this forum
. expect multiple experienced members of the MikroTik community, MikroTik itself and its dealers, to react with informed suggestions.

regards/ldv

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:54 am

Have you tried to set manual Ack and see the ping result?
It looks as if it is an interference issue

Hope it helps.

TomKolb

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:11 am

Interesting thread, I have recently run into a couple of situations I can fingure out. 1st we recently upgraded a water tower by removing a Tranzeo AP 4500 with a Mt 532 and SR2 card. We are using 64bit WEP, Mac auth, hidden SSID and about 10 to 30 seconds after enabling the wireless interface the latency goes over 2000ms and the AP dies. After a couple of days trouble shooting I did a few packet sniffs. What I found is mostly probe requests. Most of the requests were from my clients. It appeared they were not able to register. The MAC's having problems were 00:60:B3 and 00:0B:6B. These are Tranzeo clients radios. In desperation I switched back to the Tranzeo AP and all if fine. It appears to me we still have an issue with compatability with some radio chipsets. Any thoughts?

2nd Can someone define the differance between Tx/RX Rate, Frames, and HW Frames. In my experience the Tx/Rx Rate and Frames are usually sabout the same, The HW Frames are usually higher. Does the differace represent the dropped and retransmitted packets?

I know I said 2 but here is a 3rd. Some of the fields in int wir mon aren't documented. For example from the station side we have p-throughput. I assume it is an indication of packet per but it is running aroung 29000 with traffic running around 5Mbps.

Hope this isn't to much.

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:05 am

These are Tranzeo clients radios. In desperation I switched back to the Tranzeo AP and all if fine. It appears to me we still have an issue with compatability with some radio chipsets. Any thoughts?
I'm not very confident this will be helpful to you, but some folks running Tranzeos wind up trying to solve certain problems by adjusting RTS and fragmentation thresholds to lower values. Lonnie N. has written quite a bit on his forum regarding the evils of low numbers which are thought to solve, e.g., the hidden node problem, but cause others. This situation can normally be detected by using 1500 byte pings.

Some strange symptoms with low values are:

1. IE will display ftp://ftp.utexas.edu but not http://www.google.com, e.g.
2. same behavior with Opera
3. 1500 byte pings don't get echoed.

regards/ldv

maxfava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:51 am

Post the version of the RouterOs used and the firmware of the RB112.

I have the same issue in the past, I have reduced the problem as follow:

1) update the firmware from 1.3 to the last 2.6
2) update the ROUTEROS to last
3) I have reduced the upload from the clients to internet. (for 50 customers from 2 Mbit to 600 kbits)

with this modification the download increase to 8 Mbit for sector.

In some sector I have switched from b-g to only b since I have GSM operator in the same roof.

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 pm

Post the version of the RouterOs used and the firmware of the RB112.

I have the same issue in the past, I have reduced the problem as follow:

1) update the firmware from 1.3 to the last 2.6
2) update the ROUTEROS to last
3) I have reduced the upload from the clients to internet. (for 50 customers from 2 Mbit to 600 kbits)

In some sector I have switched from b-g to only b since I have GSM operator in the same roof.
How can I reduce upload on ap. What is the best effort?

maxfava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:14 pm

I reduce using the Queue function of the MK.

best effort is without bandwidth guarantee. but I have not mention best effort.

:wink:

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:10 pm

I reduce using the Queue function of the MK.

best effort is without bandwidth guarantee. but I have not mention best effort.

:wink:
add simple queue for wlan interface and limit upload speed? Thats all?

maxfava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:59 pm

this is a solution.
I have reduced the upload on the main server.

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:08 am

Hi maxfava,

is that 600 Kbps cumulative across all 50 customers or per customer (counting on a statistical distribution)?

Care to share your queue code?

great regards/ldv

maxfava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 am

yes 500Kb for all 50 customer.