Community discussions

MikroTik App

morph1
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac^2 Problems - 5Ghz wireless network - irregular ping-response time and transmission lags

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi everybody,
we are currently evaluating a MikroTik hAP ac² for use in our product.
We observed very irregular frame-times within our application when using that router.
So we performed some tests and found out that it is related to this router.
photo_2018-04-25_14-51-03.jpg
Used settings: Channel 36 (5180MHz), 40MHz channel width (unless otherwise noted on the y-axis), ping return time using 10ms intervals, 60000 pings.

As you can see we get very nice ping response times for most of the packets.
But every few seconds we see return times >10ms (stated as count on the right hand side of the graphs).
This also happens using other products, but not even close in numbers.

I hope its just an issue with some settings in the router, but all that we tried didn't work out.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by morph1 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

squeeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: hAP ac^2 Problems - 5Ghz wireless network - irregular ping-repsonse time and transmission lags

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:06 am

How were you testing, as in what client in particular, and generating that graph?

Also, Mikrotik have confirmed to multiple customers with a closed/pre-release version of RouterOS that they may have very significantly improved the WiFi performance of the hAP ac^2.

pepek
just joined

Re: hAP ac^2 Problems - 5Ghz wireless network - irregular ping-repsonse time and transmission lags

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:20 am

You should check this thread: viewtopic.php?p=657255#p657255 and wait for ROS v. 6.43rc5 - it should fix serious wifi problems of Mikrotik ARM devices with IPQ4018.

EDIT: rc5 fixes 5GHz problems, 2,4GHz is still buggy. We have to hope, that it will be similar problem and 2,4GHz fix will arrive soon.

Wait with your testing for fixing this bug - it can be great device, if it has fixed software.

yhfung
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:59 am

photo_2018-04-25_14-51-03.jpg
May I know how to produce the picture that you shown? Also how to collect the readings using ping?

Many thanks.

YH

morph1
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 am

thanks for the responses.
i just noticed the other thread as i posted this one and couldn't delete it since it was in review by a moderator :)
thats why i changed the headline to be matching.
May I know how to produce the picture that you shown? Also how to collect the readings using ping?
the plots where created with matlab by a colleague of mine, so i'm not 100% sure how he did it. PM me and i will see if i can provide the matlab file.

used linux ping for testing:
sudo ping x.x.x.x -i 0.01 -c 60000 | tee output.txt
you have to be root to perform ping with <0.1s intervals

Then stripped everything from the file except the response times
How were you testing, as in what client in particular, and generating that graph?
Setup was:
Laptop (Surface Book 2) - WiFi - Router - WiFi - Device
Ping is very nice since our application also relies on pretty small UDP packets, so it gives a good estimation of the overall performance in our case.
Wait with your testing for fixing this bug - it can be great device, if it has fixed software.
The problem is that we can't wait.
We have to order case inlays that have to match the used router.
So i guess we will switch to TPLink if RC5 is not helping.

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am

We have released 6.43rc RouterOS version that includes potential fix for wireless performance problems on RouterBOARD hAP ac^2 and cAP ac.

Please upgrade and test. Report results back to support@mikrotik.com if you still experience problems even after an upgrade.

"wireless - improved wireless throughput on hAP ac^2 and cAP ac"

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=133420&p=657428#p657426

morph1
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 am

We have released 6.43rc RouterOS version that includes potential fix for wireless performance problems on RouterBOARD hAP ac^2 and cAP ac.

Please upgrade and test. Report results back to support@mikrotik.com if you still experience problems even after an upgrade.

"wireless - improved wireless throughput on hAP ac^2 and cAP ac"

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=133420&p=657428#p657426
tests are running ;) will post results as soon as the plots are ready :)

yhfung
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:05 am

morph1,

Thank you very much for your information of how to collect the data.

In the past when I was in university, I often used the MATLAB for data analysis. Now I do not have MATLAB program, I am not able to use the MATLAB .m file.

As you have seen my test results on 5GHz WiFi in other thread, the results look very good. I believe you will get similar results later.

If you have time, would you mind to carry out the same test on 2.4GHz on hAP ac^2? Please post your findings in this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132648

Many thanks.

YH

yhfung
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: hAP ac^2 Problems - 5Ghz wireless network - irregular ping-response time and transmission lags

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:33 am

morph1,

Your graphs gives a lot of information to us. Would you mind to provide the model number of each plot such that we are all benefited.

Also I am very interested in interpreting the chart since I have not used MATLAB for a long time after leaving university. Could you please tell me how to read the plot or provide the link such that I can understand the meaning of your chart more.

Thank you.

YH

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac^2 Problems - 5Ghz wireless network - irregular ping-response time and transmission lags

Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Locking this thread.
Please continue here:
viewtopic.php?t=132648
Thank you.