Community discussions

MikroTik App

synapse81
just joined
Topic Author

Multipoint wireless bridge with MikroTik SXT's

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Hello!

Very new to these MikroTik SXT access points and have been able to figure some things out on my own but running into a wall with a certain setup.

I had a question months ago and had some help regarding setting up 4 of these in two separate wireless bridges connecting 3 buildings together using this document https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bridging ... s_with_SXT.

Now, I'm trying to add another Mikrotik just recently installed (Total of 5 of these guys now) on new building with LOS to the main office AP and pointing it at the SXT that is located at the main office where the internet originates(Main Office AP is in Bridge mode). I've set this 5th Mikrotik we are just installing in "station bridge" mode just like the other Mikrotik AP that is bridged successfully to the main office. This new one would not connect and bridge like the other one is successfully doing.

With the setup from the wiki above, is there much different that needs to be done to have a second AP in bridge station mode pointing to the Bridge mode AP at the main office? It's on the same frequency, SSID, password, protocol, etc to communicate.

Considering the other 4 access points are forming two bridges in accordance with the above link. What settings would need to be done to this 5th one to connect as well and form a wireless bridge for this new building?

Hope I clarified enough!

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Multipoint wireless bridge with MikroTik SXT's

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 am

Use mode=ap bridge and mode=station wds. Follow this guide: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/PTP_Link ... Step_Guide
You will have to change the current link you want to connect to first, before adding the new one. Change the furtherest one from you first, because the link while drop will you are changing it.

The solution previously provided only allows PtP. Only one station can connect to the AP.

synapse81
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Thank you very much for the input.

Just to see if I'm understanding correctly.

Following that guide (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/PTP_Link ... Step_Guide), I'll go back and set up the original link to AP Bridge mode for the internet feed side and the existing point to point AP it's connecting to to Station WDS mode. Make sure that works, and then I can set up the second AP pointing at the AP Bridge mode at the internet feed side in Station WDS mode as well and it should work also?

Attached a link to an image below to clarify in case my word choice is poor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13N7Nbh ... sp=sharing

Thank you!

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Thats correct! And it should be as simple as changing the mode on each side.

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:49 pm

Would I be correct in saying that the first 4 are linked as follows?

Building 1 SXT(1st) -> Building 2 SXT
Building 1 SXT(2nd) -> Building 3 SXT

JB172

Tue May 01, 2018 12:07 am

First check if you have License level 4 (System->License) in the SXT which will be the AP.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 01, 2018 2:39 am

First check if you have License level 4 (System->License) in the SXT which will be the AP.
I forgot Mikrotik did this. This sucks!

synapse81
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 12:14 am

Would I be correct in saying that the first 4 are linked as follows?

Building 1 SXT(1st) -> Building 2 SXT
Building 1 SXT(2nd) -> Building 3 SXT
Thanks for the interest!

I left out a building(building 3) for simplicity and the other access point on Building 2.

The main office (To the left) is Building 1. The Warehouse to the right has 2 installed currently and we'll call Building 2. There are two point to point links using 4 APs currently . Main Office(Building 1) to Building 2. And building 2 to Building 3(Not in picture)

The 5th one is the one that is pictured at the top right that will be installed is trying to connect to the Main Office on the left of the picture just as the Building 1 AP is doing currently.

synapse81
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 12:15 am

Thanks! I just checked and the new one is Level 4. I'll make sure the other two are as well. Thanks for that!

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 12:22 am

Thanks! I just checked and the new one is Level 4. I'll make sure the other two are as well. Thanks for that!
Only the one used as an AP has to have Level 4, the connected Stations (CPE) can be Level 3.

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Yep, move the Level 4 SXT to the AP side of the link and let the 2 level 3 SXT's connect back to it.

I'm guessing the level 4 SXT is actually the sectoral one which has a beamwidth of 90 degrees, so just point somewhere in between the 2 SXTs.

synapse81
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Yep, move the Level 4 SXT to the AP side of the link and let the 2 level 3 SXT's connect back to it.

I'm guessing the level 4 SXT is actually the sectoral one which has a beamwidth of 90 degrees, so just point somewhere in between the 2 SXTs.

Thanks!

They are all Level 4 so doesn't look like I'll have to move anything. So AP Bridge mode and Station wds mode for the two on the other side. Seems simple enough! When the AP comes back in (had an RMA) we'll cross our fingers and hope for the best!