Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pardua
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac loses repeater connection every 5 minutes on 5 GhZ

Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi,

we recently bought several hAP ac to provide a Hotel with Wifi.
In our setup we use 2 different WAN ports (one for the internal hotel staff and one for their guests) and provide the internal net through a 5 GhZ Wifi and the public net is provided through the 2 GhZ band.
So our first AP hast 2 ethernet connections going to 2 different routers and the ports are bridged with Wifi1 and Wifi2.
Then we just repeat them through several hAP acs through the hotel.

WAN1 ---->
---->AP1 ----> Wifi 1 ---> AP2 ----> AP3 --->
---->AP1 ----> Wifi 2 ---> AP2 ---> AP3 --->
WAN2---->

Our problem now is, that randomly the repeaters lose their connection (seems mainly in the 5 GhZ band) between each other. For instance AP2 loses its connection to AP 3 and so all other repeaters after AP3 are disconnected, too.

I was able to reproduce this error with 2 test devices I currently have in my office. I made a screenshot so that you guys can see whats happened.

Screenshot

It only says "lost connection, received deauth: unspecified"

I connected the repeaters using Winbox. I just select the Wifi Card, go to scan, select the repeater I desire, click connect and then I just press the "setup repeater" button, add ssis and key and basically thats it. Of course I made some other settings like bridging Wifi 1 and 3 and ehter 1 to one bridge and wifi 2, 4 and ether4 to another bridge to have them seperated, but I don't think that this is the problem in this case.

Please let me know if you need other information or if you have an idea what to do.
I considered to make a new setup based on this article: http://harry.subnetworx.de/2014/02/21/r ... ion-guide/
But this would mean I have to begin from 0 and the hotel would be offline for a day or so ^^
I would prefer a simpler solution ;)

Thanks for your help,

Cheers

Pardua

Pardua
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac loses repeater connection every 5 minutes on 5 GhZ

Wed May 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Okay, little update. Since the disconnect seems to happen every 5 minutes or so, I'm currently thinking it might have something to do with the "Group Key Update Timer" option which is set to 5 minutes on our devices (seems to be the standard setting).
I currently do not understand this option tbh, but google says it has something to do with wep compatibility and since we don't want wep, I'll try to get rid of this option now.
Lets see if this changes anything...