Community discussions

Bosestyle
just joined
Topic Author

Extending the range of a wireless network with mikrotik

Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a wireless network setup on a CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN. I am using 3 different ssids each using a different dhcp server pool. The range on this device is not strong enough to cover the entire small office building it was installed in. I am looking at a device that I would use to extend these ssids to a 2nd access point. I have the ability to run a cat 6 line to the location of the new hotspot. I only need to support less then 5 wireless devices, but need them to auto switch to the next network as they move around the building.

Can you guys offer any advice on the right unit for the job. I was looking at the cAP and wAP devices. I currently have a 2.4 network so the cheaper models of these devices I think are a good fit based on the research I have done.

I have also done some research on the setup. Is the correct way to use the setup repeater button in the wireless interface? I have seen videos where they use wan1 and create a virtual wlan. I could be wrong but I assume this setup is using a wireless network between the two APs. I want to use a wired connection, so I would need to map a virtual wlan to the port being used instead right?

On the main router how would I need to setup the port that I use? It needs to carry a 10.xxx and 20.xxx network on the same port. I assume I would need to tag this port for both networks or something similar?

Thanks for your help everyone. I am pretty new to mikrotik but have a pretty good understanding of a system with multiple networks and assigning to certain ports etc. I have never tried setup a repeater and want to make sure I get the right devices to save some frustration in testing. I appreciate the time of anyone that is willing to help!

Bosestyle
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Extending the range of a wireless network with mikrotik

Tue May 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Anyone out there that might have some helpful input? I would really appreciate your time. Thanks in advance.

yhfung
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 22, 2018 3:01 pm

I have just used the Setup Repeater Wizard to extend my WiFi (single SSID) from one place to another. However in your case, you have three SSIDs to be extended, I believe you need to run vlan on the cable connected to the remote AP (1 main SSID, and virtual SSIDs, the terms may be incorrect).

Bosestyle
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 10:33 pm

I was looking at the cAP and mAP access points. Would these be a good fit for what I am trying to do? Or should i be looking at something else?

scottsen11
just joined

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 pm

WDS don't do anything special. I just allow bridging APs without wires.

Just bridge all wireless cards to same LAN. And ensure, this LAN has only one DHCP server enabled.

For example interconnect this RB951 by wires between 2 - 5 ports. Look for not build loops or enable RSTP in bridges. And disable dhcp server on all except one.

Also is good to set different IP for every device.

You can configure wireless in dewices with same SSID and Security profile to form one ESSID.

Usually DHCP keept enabled on gateway.

ingdaka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm

You can use cAP, but to be sure about mobility you have to use CAPsMAN
Ilir Daka
Electronic & Network Engineer
E-mail: ilirdaka@live.com
Mob: +355692982151
WhatsApp: +355692982151