Community discussions

MikroTik App

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT worse than a TP-LINK Archer C7?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:05 am

Hi guys,
I'm very frustrated right now with my new RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT I just got, no matter what settings I use for wireless it seems to perform worse than a TP-LINK Archer C7 that it should replace.

I'm on the latest firmware and packages and in an environment with clean RF on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

The range is lower than the TP-LINK, the throughput on wifi is less and I have issues with Apple devices connecting or maintaining a connection.

This is what I've tried so far as wireless settings:

2.4 Ghz
Tried channels 1, 6, 11
Width set to 20 Mhz because I believe 20/40 causes issues with Apple devices, please confirm!
Manual transmit power with or without regulatory domain or country set. If I leave no country set with manual default power I get some more range but not as the TP-LINK. If I lower the power, say 17 or 20 I lose significant range compared to TP-LINK.
WMM enabled
Preamble I tried both, short and long
I tried setting only N and BGN

5Ghz

Tried both leaving A/N/AC and AC only
20/40 Ceee
20/40/80 Ceee (How are Apple devices dealing with 20/40/80? Should I leave only 20/40?)
Played with the regulatory domain, country set or no country set. Tried lowering the power, 17, 20, range is very poor compared to the TP-LINK.
WMM is enabled

Overall, I can't get the Mikrotik to perform at least as the TP-LINK in wireless performance wich really upset me as I convinced the client of all the benefits of upgrading to a device with serious capabilities and features. Is this model really worse in wireless performance than the TP-LINK Archer C7 or am I missing some settings?

The router has a 1000/700 Mbit connection with static IP on WAN.

There are 3 Lenovo laptops with 2.4 and 5ghz wireless, 2 MacBook Pro, 3 iPhone. The iPhones have issues connecting to either 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs and the MacBook barely sees the wifi 15m away wich didn't happen with the TP-LINK.

WPA2 with only PSK AES is set as security profiles for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT worse than a TP-LINK Archer C7?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:25 am

Have you tried all defaults? There is no issue with Apple devices, channel width or otherwise. Like stated elsewhere, I can repeat 700Mbit+ with Apple laptops through the hAPac, it performs very well with Apple devices.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Have you tried all defaults? There is no issue with Apple devices, channel width or otherwise. Like stated elsewhere, I can repeat 700Mbit+ with Apple laptops through the hAPac, it performs very well with Apple devices.
I did, twice. I'm going to reset it again and try defaults using the quick setup option but I doubt it will do much. Could it be defective?

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

robertEIT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:38 pm

Do you guys know any freeware or trial wifi analyzer software for Windows? I'm going to try tomorrow and do a comparison test between the TP-Link Archer C7 and the RB962.

I playes with some other settings today, did another reset to factory defaults and still, the range is less than the Archer.