Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

adeoluf
just joined
Topic Author

inter-operability

Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Due to insufficient signal reaching offices from mikrotik AP outside. we implemented linksys AP in the buildings. if this AP have exactly the same settings as the mikrotik AP. i mean ssid,band, freq all the same. my question is, can they work seamlessly as one network? are they supposed to interfere.

ur suggestions will make my day

tneumann

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:29 pm

Are the indoor access-points connected to the outdoor MikroTik? If so, how are they connected and what's the network topology like?

As for interference, it's a bad idea to run several access-points on the same frequency/channel if their RF signal coverage might overlap. You should specifically avoid this and implement different channels for each AP. Standard non-overlapping channel allocation on 2.4 GHz is 1,6,11.

--Tom

adeoluf
just joined
Topic Author

inter-operability

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:30 pm

Are the indoor access-points connected to the outdoor MikroTik? If so, how are they connected and what's the network topology like?

As for interference, it's a bad idea to run several access-points on the same frequency/channel if their RF signal coverage might overlap. You should specifically avoid this and implement different channels for each AP. Standard non-overlapping channel allocation on 2.4 GHz is 1,6,11.

--Tom

thanks Tom
i work at ICT unit of a university. we have a campus wide wireless network with about 15 mikrotik radios. it is a wds network as all the radios are bridged together. they all use omni, no p2p.they all have the same freg, ssid, band, all. and some of them are close enough to overlap.

i was wondering what happens to interference here. i belief the signal has to overlap for bridging. how is this situation different from my first question. is it bcos of the 2 diferent brands of radio or bcos linksys AP does not do wds.

when u said : how did i joined the 2 wireless network. i want to know how wireless signal from more than one APs can be made to complement each other without interference whether or not from the same manufacturer.

tneumann

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:26 pm

It wasn't clear from your first description that you're using WDS. Now what you said about the WDS setup of the 15 MikroTik routers that make up your campus wide network basically sounds OK (if they do WDS then indeed they need to 'see' each other, use the same channel etc.)

But what about the Linksys indoor APs? You still did not make it clear how they interact with your MikroTik network. Are the Linksys configured for WDS? If so, is the WDS link seen to be 'up' on both ends (MT, Linksys)? Is WDS your only way to interconnect accesspoints or do you also use wired LAN infrastructure?

--Tom

adeoluf
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 pm

It wasn't clear from your first description that you're using WDS. Now what you said about the WDS setup of the 15 MikroTik routers that make up your campus wide network basically sounds OK (if they do WDS then indeed they need to 'see' each other, use the same channel etc.)

But what about the Linksys indoor APs? You still did not make it clear how they interact with your MikroTik network. Are the Linksys configured for WDS? If so, is the WDS link seen to be 'up' on both ends (MT, Linksys)? Is WDS your only way to interconnect accesspoints or do you also use wired LAN infrastructure?

--Tom
sorry for the ambiguity.
for particular senero. both the linksys AP inside and the MT AP ouside both independently connect to the same switch from their ethernet interface as internet source. but they give internet to their wireless client on their wireless interfaces. as i said earlier they have the same config except that the linksys does not support wds. my observvation is this, immediately we put on the linksys AP inside, even the people outside that was browsing on MT AP will start getting limited connectivity.

the intention for puting the linksys AP in the first place is bcos signal from MT outside to offices inside the building was weak.

i read that max of 3 networks can exist in the same place without interference each in one of the non-overlapping channels.
what i want to understand is this

Does 3 networks mean 3 Access Points as a number?

or

that each of these 3 networks can contain several access points but with
the same ssid, freq and band.?

if my 2nd questions is yes, can the APs that make up one network be from different manufacturers?

thanks making things easier for me.