Community discussions

ChrisM
just joined
Topic Author

How to identify wireless network settings

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Could someone please tell me how to identify the correct configuration for connecting to a wireless network? I can see the wireless network in question with the Scanner screen through WebFig but I don't know the correct settings to make the Mikrotik to connect properly.

I have identified the network frequency but am unsure of the authentication type or cipers to enable under Security Profiles. Specifically the following fields:

I have a Mikrotik map2n running RouterOS 6.39.2.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to identify wireless network settings

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:24 pm

i think its ok

i will prefer group key update 01:00:00

ChrisM
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 am

Thanks for your reply.

No matter what settings I choose I can't get the map2N to connect to the wireless network. However, I am able to get Windows laptops and iPhones to connect without issue, so there must be something set wrong.

When I enable the wireless interface the status shows this continuously/repeatedly:
connected to ess
searching for network
It's as if it connects and disconnects over and over.

Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:57 am

Ask the network admin what settings to use.

or

Look at the Windows laptop's wireless connection properties for that SSID.

or

Try trial and error, but scientifically. Just changing a lot of options leads to frustration.

Start with a new wireless security profile, not one you've been playing with.

Configure with WPA PSK and WPA2 PSK enabled. Also enable both TKIP and AES. All four options allow the Mikrotik to sort it out if the AP is not using EAP. Is it a corporate or large campus network? If not, it's probably not EAP. Put the known pre-shared key in both WPA fields. Change nothing else.

Change the wireless interface mode to "station" or "station bridge" and to use this new security profile and the SSID of the AP you are trying to connect. Change nothing else.

If turning on the four PSK and encryption options doesn't work, it may be WEP. Configure a new security profile for WEP. Look at the wiki, wiki.mikrotik.com, for how to do so. It's simple but I'm not taking the time to look up the exact options. Change the wireless interface to use the WEP security profile.

You'll have it running in 5 minutes *IF* the admin of the network is going to allow unknown devices to connect. If not, you're not going to make it work. Ask the admin what settings to use.

When you get it working, you can think about changing other options. One at a time. If it breaks, change it back. But, I wouldn't bother unless you have a specific issue. The defaults are defaults for a reason. They work most of the time.

If you've been changing a lot of things, you might first try reseting the mAP to default and using quickset to configure the wireless in CPE mode.

ChrisM
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 pm

@lambert - thanks for your incredibly in-depth response. Based on the information you provided, I created a completely new security profile and was able to connect successfully with that. Some old lingering settings in the old profile which I hadn't noticed were causing it to be unable to connect. Thanks again!

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Number one rule: Start at the defaults.
Number two rule: Change the minimum necessary.

It works for a lot of things, not just RouterOS, not even just computers.

I am happy to hear that you got it working!