Community discussions

MikroTik App

wale
just joined
Topic Author

good signal strength and speed yet link is dropping packets

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:02 pm

I have an AP setup with some clients connected to it. The quality of the link is good as well as the speed. Yet clients connected to the AP are complaining of drops in packets.
I need suggestions on what to do to resolve the issue. I have also attached the values of the signal strength and speed to this message
Thank you all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: good signal strength and speed yet link is dropping packets

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:48 pm

is it "clients are complaining" or is it "packets are really dropping due to wifi" ?
What does the CCQ say?

wale
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:52 am

@vecemik87....from the AP, the CCQ value is not displayed but showing on the client's radio with an average value of 52/40%. Also clients are complaining that the link is slow despite the quality of the signal strength and speed.
The configuration is on static wds.
The config on the wireless card for the AP is in the attachment.
All contributions are highly valued.

Thank you.

base2config.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:38 am

Hi, sorry for late reply.
I can't see anything clearly wrong in this tab of setting (except "superchannel" and missing country which should never appear in real conditions) Yet, CCQ value is really low and points towards wifi loosing packets.
I can't obviously see your conditions but if I was there, firstly, I would check spectral scan for interference, if your device supports it. If it does not, at least check "noise floor" and frequency usage.

At this stage, it is worth mentioning that NV2 is not visible as wifi network for normal 802.11 devices and appears only as noise (and same vice-versa - any 802.11 network on overlapping channel will cause noise and will interfere with your NV2 link)

If you find there is no other wifi on overlapping channel, no interference and noise, then it might be also too strong signal causing reflections from objects within fresnel zone. This might be real bugger - imagine it this way - your CPE start sending data. The radio wave travels with speed of light straight to your AP, however it spreads bit as well. If it hits specific surface, it might get reflected and this reflection might hit your AP as well. In that case, AP is receiving original signal, but also reflected signal with slight delay. (talking about nanoseconds here) It is similar as listening to someone with too loud echo - original speech and echo gets mixed up and you cant understand a word...

Let me know if you have any new finding with this issue. I will do my best to help but I cannot promise anything...