Community discussions

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Backup 5GHz link for LHG 60

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:23 am

Since rain or other obstacles can cause the 60 GHz link to drop completely, I'm investigating whether to run a 5 GHz link also for redundancy. Failure should be ideally detected within a second and traffic transparently routed to the 5 GHz link until the 60 GHz link is back online. Both sides of the link should be part of the same broadcast domain. I believe LACP would work well, but I came across many old posts about this that seemed to run into issues doing this over wireless. Anyone have any recommendations on how to achieve this with RouterOS?

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Backup 5GHz link for LHG 60

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Since rain or other obstacles can cause the 60 GHz link to drop completely, I'm investigating whether to run a 5 GHz link also for redundancy. Failure should be ideally detected within a second and traffic transparently routed to the 5 GHz link until the 60 GHz link is back online. Both sides of the link should be part of the same broadcast domain. I believe LACP would work well, but I came across many old posts about this that seemed to run into issues doing this over wireless. Anyone have any recommendations on how to achieve this with RouterOS?
My 2 cents:
After googling and reading I realised that exists only 2 options for backup - rstp and ospf.
With rstp i see 4 sec timeout when moving to backup and 2 secs when moving back. its not the best, but it at least works. The drawback of this scheme is when rain does not kill completely 60g link and link flapping begins. it makes unusable link at all and the only way is to switch off 60g completely and wait when rain will end.

billjellis

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:24 am

Hi All,

I am having similar issues. When this happened today all the UNIFI AP go nuts and seem to try to do wireless up-link roaming to re-establish internet then i get routing loops all over. AGGG. Turning off "Allow meshing to another access point"

I vote for an integrated 60g / with a 5ghz backup. In the same unit No extra cabling required :)

Bill

Bergante
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:07 am

Version 6.43 introduced the option to specify a MCS range.

You can try configuring it so that it will insist on using the higher MCS schemes (try for example just 8 ). In that case, with a degraded signal the
interface would be more fragile.

Not sure it will work but worth trying.

I have tried with my Wireless Wire and indeed you can specify just MCS 8.

/interface w60g set 0 mcs=8

amojak
just joined

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi,

They appear to have removed this in the 6.44 beta :( , no sign of an mcs option ..

bah humbug

I was going to force a link to MCS 0 as it doesn't need the speed of higher rates and this way i am guessing it will be a lot more stable during fluctuations, birds flying past the aerial etc.

Bill