Community discussions

bahman
just joined
Topic Author

AP cant use its maximum tx power to transmit higher data rates, why?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:34 pm

this is a screenshot of my "current tx power" tab on my hAP Lite.
so, this shows that the AP can transmit signals at 19 dbm. but only for lower data rates.
now, this is the question. what prevents the radio to use its maximum power to transmit higher data rates? why it can't transmit electromagnetic waves at full power, if they are modulated differently or with other MCSs?
for example, for data rate of 54mbps, it only uses 15 dbm of power. as you know, 15dbm is about 2.5 times weaker that 19dbm!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: AP cant use its maximum tx power to transmit higher data rates, why?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Whilst I don't know the reasoning (and won't pretend to). This is common across all devices. The maximum output power is always higher at lower MCS levels. You will probably find that with a higher power wireless chip (2HnD not 2nD) you will be able to transmit at the level you want to (although check the specs as MikroTik do advertise these).
Steve "Steveocee" Carter
PC Gamer, Airsofter, MikroTik Nerd
My Website - My MikroTik Tutorials

bahman
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 pm

thanks Steveocee
yes. as you said it is common across all devices and all vendors. it looks like a law of of physics or something! and must there be a reason.
I really appreciate if anyone could explain the reason. if the answer is strait forward and short or even technical, doesn't matter.

I searched a a lot but couldn't find anything related.

Raumaster

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 am

The higher the power output is = the higher the noise level will be and that's why the radio can't transmit more bits without causing lots of transmission errors.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:55 am

thanks Steveocee
yes. as you said it is common across all devices and all vendors. it looks like a law of of physics or something! and must there be a reason.
I really appreciate if anyone could explain the reason. if the answer is strait forward and short or even technical, doesn't matter.

I searched a a lot but couldn't find anything related.

take a look at this presentation from EU MUM 2015 by Ron Touw

https://youtu.be/pmtB3LlwquA

http://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/ ... onTouw.pdf