Community discussions

MikroTik App

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Simplest way to isolate WiFi users?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:52 pm

I have a network with several WiFi access points. They are in bridge mode, which is fine currently, but I am thinking of making WiFi users completely isolated from rest of the network.

What is the best way to do it? My idea is to set some kind of Firewall rule that will allow communication only between firewall users and gateway for internet access?

Thanks

sutrus
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Simplest way to isolate WiFi users?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Interface -> Wireless -> disable Default-Forward

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Simplest way to isolate WiFi users?  [SOLVED]

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:19 am

Disabling default forward will work only on each AP. Wireless devices on different APs will still be able to see each other. The solution here is to use CAPSMAN with local forwarding and default forward disabled. That way there is only one logical bridge on the Wifi network and you can then use some firewall rules to keep this Wifi bridge traffic separated from the wired traffic. Maybe use 2 separated subnets (and 2 DHCP servers as a result). Just make sure the CAPSMAN controller has enough beefcake to deal with the anticipated traffic. RB2011 and similar devices with a single core will not cope so well. Use a newer HAPAC2, HEX or 3011 (or other multicore router).

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Simplest way to isolate WiFi users?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:25 am

use horizon on bridges