Community discussions

stevecos
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Wire (RBwAPG-60ad) two pairs teamed for redundancy

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:00 am

A not for profit another volunteer and I work with has asked us to come up with a solution to get their 1 gig network over the road (about 50 meters) to a new building they are currently provisioning. The RBwAPG-60ad looks great for this. They have no on-site ICT support, so we want a simple and reliable solution. Our thoughts are to install two RBwAPG-60ad kits, four devices in total.
Has anyone reading here tried this solution? A case study would be ideal, otherwise I would be happy to write one if any MikroTik dudes would like to get in touch. (Living in New Zealand, we speak 'small country' almost as well as Latvia.)
Two big questions stand out:
  • Will the two pairs sort out non-overlapping frequencies smoothly? (The installation is in a relatively isolated location - unlikely to be anything else about on 60ghz.)
  • Any suggestions on how to configure switches at each end so either use both links effectively, or use one as a fail-over.
Looks to me like a request custom build for a Mikrotik solution!
Any input welcome.
Steve, Wellington, New Zealand

cohprog
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Wireless Wire (RBwAPG-60ad) two pairs teamed for redundancy

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:49 am

Yes, you can use 2 wAP60 or LHG60 at the same location on different channels.
Personally, I use ospf in point-to-point mode for routing over the different links and provide failover. If you don't want to do routing and use switch only, can't you just use LACP or STP?

Naturally, if the connection drop because of weather, then both links will probably go down. Why not use 5Ghz for the 2nd link? Sure, it will have a little less throughput but that's a backup, no?

Bergante
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Yes, you can use 2 wAP60 or LHG60 at the same location on different channels.
Personally, I use ospf in point-to-point mode for routing over the different links and provide failover. If you don't want to do routing and use switch only, can't you just use LACP or STP?

Naturally, if the connection drop because of weather, then both links will probably go down. Why not use 5Ghz for the 2nd link? Sure, it will have a little less throughput but that's a backup, no?
With only 50 m I don't think there will be a lot of fade. My link is just 18 m without a good alignment and it works like a charm. I haven't noticed any signal drop with snow, rain or hail.

If you end up trying it bear in mind that, especially with LHGs, you will probably need to lower power.

If they don't have a great support I think that these units are the best for them. It can't be more foolproof.

stevecos
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:22 am

Quick update - this setup has been installed for just under six months, using two RBwAPG-60ad devices, and LAPC on HP 1920S switches. Not aware of any issues. Speed and reliability seem fine.
Thanks to those who offered advice.