Community discussions

MikroTik App

marklodge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Can I run separate Hotspot servers per VLAN?

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Attached diagram shows what I wish to accomplish.
The idea is just to separate the traffic per AP, so that I can see count of users connected and traffic stats per AP.

How can I accomplish this?
The APs are Nanostation M2s, they support VLAN per interface [WLAN0.LAN0, or BRIDGE0].
hotspotPerVLAN.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marklodge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Can I run separate Hotspot servers per VLAN?

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 am

This can be accomplished using MAC Based VLANs, correct?

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:13 am

As I recall, the NanoStation will happily pass VLAN traffic and is VLAN aware for the management interface, but I'm not aware of the ability to specify which VLAN to use for locally connected stations. Note that I am using them for a point to point link with a managed switch (CSS326-24G-2S) on each end of the path. It is all VLAN tagged traffic over the MW path, but the management functions are operating on one of the VLANs just fine.
Poking through the user interface, the only reference to VLANs I can find is the management interface.

timigate
just joined

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Yes, you can. All you need do is select the vlan interface while creating the hotspot for that vlan. You can check out my post on hotspot here.
https://www.timigate.com/2017/11/how-to ... tspot.html

marklodge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:00 am

Yes, you can. All you need do is select the vlan interface while creating the hotspot for that vlan. You can check out my post on hotspot here.
https://www.timigate.com/2017/11/how-to ... tspot.html
I have checked your post.
I do understand that I can run a hotspot server on a vlan. What I need to do is TAG or mark the traffic coming from a specific MAC address as VLAN500 or VLAN600 and so on

So far I have played with Switch > VLAN -- no success
played with bridge> vlan -no success

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 am

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:22 am

Also models with QCA8337, Atheros8327, Atheros8316 switch chips seem to be able to use the same method as for CRS3xx, but their rule tables are smaller.

marklodge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 am

Also models with QCA8337, Atheros8327, Atheros8316 switch chips seem to be able to use the same method as for CRS3xx, but their rule tables are smaller.
This is inaccurate, I tested the CRS3xx method on the Atheros8327 chip, but New VLAN ID is not supported

marklodge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:37 am

As I recall, the NanoStation will happily pass VLAN traffic and is VLAN aware for the management interface, but I'm not aware of the ability to specify which VLAN to use for locally connected stations. Note that I am using them for a point to point link with a managed switch (CSS326-24G-2S) on each end of the path. It is all VLAN tagged traffic over the MW path, but the management functions are operating on one of the VLANs just fine.
Poking through the user interface, the only reference to VLANs I can find is the management interface.
Correct, it seems the nanostations only support vlans for management