Community discussions

MikroTik App

jrmsp
just joined
Topic Author

wAP LTE US - Carriers?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:19 am

Hi all,

I'm having a difficult time finding carriers that recognize the IMEI on Mikrotik LTE gear in the US.

AT&T was able to get me 3G only access
Verizon wouldn't activate at all with an IMEI they didn't recognize

Does anyone have any input on supported US carriers? I'd prefer to get LTE speeds, but 3G would probably be sufficient.

I'm also starting to wonder about alternatives - would I be better off going with a Routerboard with a mini PCI-express slot and using a more mainstream LTE modem (Huawei maybe?)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP LTE US - Carriers?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:45 pm

T-Mobile got me on 4G here in the DC Metro Area. Didn't give me any complaints about putting it on a prepaid plan. Used it on and off for the month and now its expired.

I had to manually enter the APN info. Before I did, the connection seemed "flakey". Once I entered the T-Mobile info... I could easily flip between being a passthrough modem or a Mikrotik router using LTE as its WAN.

Quaziee

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 pm

I have a sxt lte us on at&t had to use apn broadband. Works good for me

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

jrmsp
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. No Verizon coverage is going to be a deal breaker for me, so I ordered a Sierra Wireless MC7455 card. Will RouterOS recognize this, or is there a way to install drivers?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Currently I don't see the Sierra MC7455 card in the supported list:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Peripherals

Most likely you would be able to use it as PPP emulation mode with speed limit of approx 25mbps. As MBIM support for newer Sierra cards would be implemented only in RouterOS v7.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:13 am

Thanks for the replies. No Verizon coverage is going to be a deal breaker for me, so I ordered a Sierra Wireless MC7455 card. Will RouterOS recognize this, or is there a way to install drivers?
Kind of late...

But that same wAP LTE KIT-US I used on T-Mobile. Is now running on Verizon wireless. I have a static IP on a SIM that is activated on a business account. VZW doesn't care what device I put the SiM in. Moved it from a CradlePoint, MoFi, and finally its in the wAP LTE.

binxwalker
just joined

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:41 am

Kind of late...

But that same wAP LTE KIT-US I used on T-Mobile. Is now running on Verizon wireless. I have a static IP on a SIM that is activated on a business account. VZW doesn't care what device I put the SiM in. Moved it from a CradlePoint, MoFi, and finally its in the wAP LTE.
Please provide me with the magic that you were able to do with Verizon Business to get them to activate a sim without a device imei AND provide you with a static ip? We have a business account and want to use verizon for all of our wAP lte redundancy for customers, but cannot seem to reach anyone at verizon who understands what we are attempting to get done. They all insist that we have to provide them with a "valid" imei in order to purchase a sim.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Kind of late...

Please provide me with the magic that you were able to do with Verizon Business to get them to activate a sim without a device imei AND provide you with a static ip? We have a business account and want to use verizon for all of our wAP lte redundancy for customers, but cannot seem to reach anyone at verizon who understands what we are attempting to get done. They all insist that we have to provide them with a "valid" imei in order to purchase a sim.
I deal with a business account rep.
I contact her with the customer info and she sends them the required paperwork and sets me as a PoC. Once they approve the account... I get an email to confirm the plan they want... Then I give her the SIM ID from one of my cards. I pick them up or get them shipped to me when I run out.

I helped another company in North Carolina set up an account. Had the customer go into the store and set up a business account. VZW activated a SIM, and she brought it to her local integrator. He called me up and I TeamViewered into his computer via his hotspot and set the proper APN on the SXT he had. Unit connected to Verizon and they mounted it outside the cabin.

Where are you located?

neutronlaser

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:46 am

4G is actually 3.5G

zlobster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:44 am

4G is actually 3.5G
Say what?

In the land of the US, maybe some operator is trying to sell 3.5G for 4G (as they do with 5G, top kek), but rest assured - 3.5G and 4G are totally different technologies.

neutronlaser

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:48 am

4G is actually 3.5G
Say what?

In the land of the US, maybe some operator is trying to sell 3.5G for 4G (as they do with 5G, top kek), but rest assured - 3.5G and 4G are totally different technologies.
In the world of Mikrotik actually

zlobster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 am

4G is actually 3.5G
Say what?

In the world of Mikrotik actually
Ah, yes - the famous 'evolved 3G'... but if you think about it, MT only have Cat.4 modems in 2019, so it's closer to 3G. :lol:

neutronlaser

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:01 am

Hehehe

mjezierski

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:06 pm

I know I'm a little late to the party on this thread - I'm also trying to activate some Microtik LTE boards - this is the R11e-LTE-US boards and our Verizon rep tells us the IMEI "pattern" that Microtik is assigned isn't "registered" with Verizon so their sales and provisioning systems sees the IMEI numbers as bogus. We had to take an old Cradlepoint router, activate it, steal the SIM out and plug it into a Microtik board and it worked. Thing is we have four more Microtik boards and no other devices to steal SIMs from.

One solution (again, according to Verizon) is for someone at Mikrotik to make contact with someone at Verizon US and arrange to send a listing of IMEIs that were produced for the US market so they can be activated on Verizon service.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm

I know I'm a little late to the party on this thread - I'm also trying to activate some Microtik LTE boards - this is the R11e-LTE-US boards and our Verizon rep tells us the IMEI "pattern" that Microtik is assigned isn't "registered" with Verizon so their sales and provisioning systems sees the IMEI numbers as bogus. We had to take an old Cradlepoint router, activate it, steal the SIM out and plug it into a Microtik board and it worked. Thing is we have four more Microtik boards and no other devices to steal SIMs from.

One solution (again, according to Verizon) is for someone at Mikrotik to make contact with someone at Verizon US and arrange to send a listing of IMEIs that were produced for the US market so they can be activated on Verizon service.
If you buy static IPs... problem solved.

mjezierski

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 pm

If you buy static IPs... problem solved.
So if we tell our Verizon rep to provision us static IP's and send us some SIMs to use, they won't bother with the IMEI numbers of the modem cards themselves? If it makes a difference, these will NOT be stationary devices.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:46 am

Yup... A static IP follows the Sim card. I have taken one Sim that was setup with a static IP and moved it between 3 modems.

The only issue I could think might bite you...
The APN for Verizon Static is geographic. If you went to another geographic area... You may need to change the APN.

In the DC metro area... NE. So it depends what you meant by "moved around".

mjezierski

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Yup... A static IP follows the Sim card. I have taken one Sim that was setup with a static IP and moved it between 3 modems.

The APN for Verizon Static is geographic. If you went to another geographic area... You may need to change the APN.

We aren't putting them on cars and running them around at 220+ MPH :lol: These will be in devices that we provide to race teams for test sessions so they could literally go anywhere from coast to coast. Having to change the APN might be a problem as they may not necessarily pass through my hands in between locations, and these must be "plug it in" and it works.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:22 am

...these must be "plug it in" and it works.
Then you need to look elsewhere.

Cradlepoint or Siera wireless would be much better suited for this application... and "JUST WORK" once configured.

mjezierski

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:56 pm

We used to use Cradlepoint but there's limited space in these device boxes, hence the move to using Routerboards since we're tunneling back to HQ anyway. The LTE card is perfect for this application. We might try a MVNO that utilizes Verizon and see if they will be more flexible in their accomodations.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:13 pm

We used to use Cradlepoint but there's limited space in these device boxes, hence the move to using Routerboards since we're tunneling back to HQ anyway. The LTE card is perfect for this application. We might try a MVNO that utilizes Verizon and see if they will be more flexible in their accomodations.
The LTE card is ABSOLUTELY NOT PERFECT FOR VZW IN THE US.
VZW uses 2,4,5,13,66
Band 2 (1900MHz): this is a band that Verizon is actively transitioning from 2G/3G for use for LTE. It is currently a supplementary carrier that brings more capacity to the network and is commonly deployed in 10x10 chunks.
Band 4 (1700/2100MHz): Verizon has solid amounts of these bands that it deploys in larger, 20x20MHz blocks in many markets.
Band 5 (850MHz): it is a band that Verizon is still using for 2G/3G services in some markets, while for others, it is using this band for LTE. Verizon holds a lot of this spectrum nationwide and usually deploys it in 10x10 blocks.
Band 13 (700MHz): this is the backbone of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network. Verizon has this rolled out to most markets across the nation, but since it is usually deployed in rather small 10x10 chunks, it could become congested fairly easily.
Band 66 (1700/2100MHz): this is a superset of band 4 (meaning that it has all the frequencies of band 4, plus a few additional blocks). It is usually deployed in small chunks and it not available everywhere.

Mikrotik wireless doesn't support 13 or 66.

13 Being the most used currently

I spent a lot of time looking into sierra online... but never used one.

neutronlaser

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm

lukkes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:22 am

T-Mobile got me on 4G here in the DC Metro Area. Didn't give me any complaints about putting it on a prepaid plan. Used it on and off for the month and now its expired.

I had to manually enter the APN info. Before I did, the connection seemed "flakey". Once I entered the T-Mobile info... I could easily flip between being a passthrough modem or a Mikrotik router using LTE as its WAN.
Could you please provide me the APN info for T-Mobile? Thanks

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:08 am

fast.t-mobile.com

lukkes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:04 pm