Community discussions

MikroTik App

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

SXT LTE Figures

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi,

I have a client I installed a SXT LTE about a year ago, I noticed recently that their connection has become very bad, i.e. so bad that I struggle to connect via SSH.

I have never dealt in depth with wireless / LTE and the figures are a bit above my head at the moment and was hoping someone can assist me or provide some links to information that will bring me up to speed with regards to the wireless good / bad signal level info.

Below is what the SXT LTE is reporting at the moment, is it good / bad, what are good levels, i.e. this must be higher and that must be lower, etc?

rssi: -52dBm
rsrp: -79dBm
rsrq: -10dB
sinr: 15dB

Thanking you in advance

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SXT LTE Figures

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 am

rssi is most useless quantity reported by LTE devices and IMHO reporting it should be considered unconstitutional.

Other than that, LTE signal with rsrp -79 dBm is considered "fair" (we provide tripple-play services at rsrp level of -105 dBm while providing IPTV stream with 2.6Mbps), rsrq higher than -15 dB should suffice for decent service and sinr 15 dB is fair as well. My judgement is that reported LTE signal is decent and it shouldn't be the limiting factor.

Ideally rsrp should be as high as possible, realistically near -60 dBm (higher than that can cause some problems in device's receiver). Rsrq should be as high as possible as well, realistically values higher than -6 dB are hard to achieve. Sinr should be as high as possible as well. Values higher than 25 dB allow for (almost) maximum theoretical speed.
Low numbers are: esrp lower than around -105 to -110dBm mean border of LTE cell coverage. Rsrq lower than say -20 dB mean bad service. Likewise values of sinr lower than 0 dB mean bad service.
Low rsrp values mostly bring low rsrq and sinr values. However even high rsrp values don't guarantee high rsrq and sinr numbers due to interference between adjacent cell towers and load on serving cell.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am

Thx mkx, good info

nicobar
just joined

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:52 am

I have a SXT LTE6. The repeater is in line of sight at 1.8Km, but I am not sure where the bean is pointing.
With 3 green led of signal on the device, I have:

RSRP: -60dB (shows green)
SINR: 17dB (shows yellow: not that good?)
RSRQ: -9.5dB (shows green)

Should I seek higher numbers for max theoretical speed? (higher meaning, give me an example as I am confused about the minus signs)
Would it be worth it to upgrade the SXT LTE6 with a higher gain product, like new LHG LTE18 kit?

I also noticed that I get faster speed at night (30 Mbit /18) vs the day (15/7). I presume this is because of more smartphones using the spectrum. Is there anything I can do in terms of band settings / LTE settings to improve these values?

Thank you!