Community discussions

MikroTik App

axo
just joined
Topic Author

Improve Wifi setup - Real life test results - Google wifi vs Mikrotik vs P.O.S. AT&T

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi Network gurus :)
Ok i spent some time in photoshop to put a graphic together for you, this will save me thousands of words and lots of confusion for you.
Below i will describe the setup and the target to achieve/learn.

About myself: I have some intermediate networking experience, handy with tcp ip, services, mostly GUI home routers, DD-wrt setups, ipcop, squid servers long time ago,
cloud managed services with routers, and understand most basic setups. Although i am self taught, and like the hobby part of it, i am NOT certified on Cisco, N+ or any other certification so you can talk to me like if i am a noob ok? :) I just picked up a few of these MikroTik routers and read all the positive reviews and i just found out about RouterOS. No, i was not under a shoe box all this time i swear, i just picked up playing with networks again recently after a long break!

Ok enough introduction. here is the scenario:

• 1ghz fiber optic connection with ATT "boxed" with their Modem.
  • home user, big house with 8 areas currently being covered by 4 google wifi home mesh APs setup all wired together on Ghz Ethernet LAN .

The idea.
1) Looks like it is not possible to completely bypass the ATT modem (googled and found this. read third post)
So what i am trying to achieve, is a steady wifi connection in the upper 150's - 200 Mbps on any AP throughout the house.

Take a look at the graphic now. I run some speed tests with different setups.
I understand there will be a cascade effect and loss of speed due to it. But come on! The connection pulls about 600-800 Mbps on the AT&T LAN ports if i test on a wired connection.

The google home devices are garbage i know, besides the obvious numbers i am posting here, they actually have many other glitches, i highly do not recommend them to anyone, please
do not trust the reviews you read online claiming these sets to be among the best setups available for homes, because they are not.

Then i read about the awesome things you can do with RouterOS, and Mikrotik devices being enterprise level hardware.
I configured one as a simple AP bridge, no DHCP or anything else, there is the results.

The ATT modem is the one reaching 200+ Mbps over wifi connection, but the big issue here is the house is BIG, and this single modem can not reach everywhere.
I do need access points to distribute the connection, and i am trying to find the right setup to achieve this.
I am not willing to accept you get only 14-75 Mbps real life wifi speeds at home when you setup a couple AP's coming down all the way from a 800 Mbps connection on a LAN port?

I was seriously hoping there would be a way to hook up the MikroTik routers somehow and achieve the 200 Mbps target. That would make us happy.
Thanks for any ideas and suggestions

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Improve Wifi setup - Real life test results - Google wifi vs Mikrotik vs P.O.S. AT&T

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:21 am

The RB2011 is a very old router (hence the name) which doesn't support 5 GHz, so no 802.11ac. Speeds you show are about what is expected for a 2.4 GHz network.

I recommend hAP AC / cAP AC / wAP AC instead depending on your installation needs.