Community discussions

MikroTik App

LeftyTs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How critical is grounding with LHG 60G

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:17 pm

I am using a couple of LHG 60G model RBLHGG-60ad. Next to the UTP there is a grounding connector. How critical is to use this? Should it be grounded directly to the master/tower? Is this grounding pin connected with the grounding UTP also? Is there any grounding loop danger?

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How critical is grounding with LHG 60G

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:27 am

Any time you have electronics outdoors, you should be grounding them.
In this case, wind blowing through the grid can cause a static charge to build up, discharging though the ethernet can kill the LGH as well as the switch it's connected to. In addition, it can also hurt someone. I've never witnessed anyone getting hurt, but I have absolutely replaced switches that were killed by ESD.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:28 am

Oh, and of course there is always the proverbial risk of lightning strike.

LeftyTs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:50 am

That is why there are gas discharge units and surge arresters for proper static discharge. If the only reason is the static build up in the grid, there is really no point to do that since it is already attached directly to the master and if the UTP grounding is also part of it, then, there is a really very good chance to burn your switch as you said in case you get hit by a static storm. As for true grounding up in building roofs (a master is not considered good true grounding), this can not really be done easily for a single installation as it requires large rods and thick cables/wires directly from the ground, not practical at all of course for most single installations with such a small dish so your best chance in order not to frie easily your switch equipment, is to simply omit the UTP grounding.

Can anyone please clarify if the UTP grounding is directly connected to the dish grid as well as the grounding pin? Is static the only reason the grounding pin is there for? I have already installed mine so it is not easy for me to check with a multi meter for now.

PS: Nothing escapes a direct lightning strike, not even surge arresters and/or gas discharge units or even omitting the UTP grounding.

http://www.arrl.org/grounding

karina

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:17 am

The grid is just a reflector and is isolated from the radio.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk