Community discussions

MikroTik App

Acryli
Topic Author

MikroTik LtAP mini LTE kit - Dual SIM

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Hello

I wanted to ask you some technical details about the dual SIM feature of the MikroTik LtAP mini LTE kit modem.

Is just 1 SIM card active at a time?
Can one SIM card be used for 4G data and the 2nd SIM used to send/receive SMS over 2G, at the SAME time?

Thanks

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: MikroTik LtAP mini LTE kit - Dual SIM

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:54 am

You can only use one sim card at a time.
So you need to change the sim cards in the software when you want to switch to other sim card.
Modem will reset during the sim change.

Acryli
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Thank you for your answer.

I have yet another little question.
Do you know if Mikrotik plans to release a faster version of the modem in the near term?

(150Mb/s LTE modem, sounds a little bit "outdated". I think in 2018 the minimal people could expect is a 300Mbit/s LTE-A modem.
At least the price for the 150Mb/s version is in the right range, I would even say, it's cheap for a "waterproof", dual SIM, PoE device. But I think there is room for a faster version in the $150-170 range.)

EDIT:
Is the Mini PCIe LTE Card installed in the Mikrotik LtAP mini LTE replaceable and software compatible with any other LTE modem card? (AT command are standardized I think at least)
Is the SoC installed in the Mikrotik LtAP mini LTE powerful enough to handle it?

Because there is a LTE-A cat 6 (300Mbps) card available from Sierra Wirelss. It even is an industrial grade card (-40°C / + 85°C), perfect for the Mikrotik LtAP mini LTE.
https://www.sierrawireless.com/products ... ts/mc7455/

EDIT 2:
They even have a 600Mbps LTE-A module (M.2 format).
I have to check if those modules use a PCIe connection or an USB connection (which probably is incompatible with the Mikrotik LtAP mini).

But they are really expensive modules (when sold separately).

Joni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 am

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Acrily

CAT 6 modems are still relative expensive (as you already found out), and not just a small upgrade from CAT4.
That is simple reason why today CAT4 is still the sweet spot of cellular modems.

If you want to use your own modem, buy the standard LTAP, that one has no Modem mounted. You can add
your own one inside.

Let me know which CAT6 modem you choose then and what network speeds you get (and which country/carrier)...

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Overlooked that one: LTAP has only Fast Ethernet, no sense to add CAT6 into that...

Acryli
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:34 pm

Overlooked that one: LTAP has only Fast Ethernet, no sense to add CAT6 into that...

Well I don't agree, for the simple reason because there is a huge difference between the theoretical performances and the real performances,.

Let's take the Snapdragon X12, which is a CAT12 DL / CAT 13 UL (600/150Mbps; 3CA/2CA).
What is interesting in such modems?

The support of carrier aggregation.

With my Cat 4 Modem (150Mbps max, because no CA), I get only 30Mbps in practice. In other words, the ability to use carrier aggregation would allow me to double the speed, and I would still be bellow the 100Mbps limitation of the Ethernet port.

Other benefit of using recent high performance modems, is the support of QAM64 for the upload (vs QAM16), it allows a performance increase of 50% (50->75Mbps).