MikroTik App

venoos
just joined
Topic Author

Message "does not allow station-bridge" when client cannot connect to capsman

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 am

Hi.
I Have Capsman Network.
client mode is station-bridge and cannot connect to CAP.in Log "does not allow station-bridge" message is displayed.
why ?
Is there any solution?
thanks alot.

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Message "does not allow station-bridge" when client cannot connect to capsman

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. What's in station mode? The remote router?

If so, the remote router it's meant to be an AP, and nothing else. Once configured as a capsman client, you can't configure the wifi radio unless it's from the capsman.

Regards

Sent from Tapatalk

venoos
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Message

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 am

I'm not sure what you mean. What's in station mode? The remote router?

If so, the remote router it's meant to be an AP, and nothing else. Once configured as a capsman client, you can't configure the wifi radio unless it's from the capsman.

Regards

Sent from Tapatalk
thanks for reply.
i have capsman network. client want to connect to AP(as CAP).like this :
Client (station-bridge) <> AP (as CAP) <> CAPsMAN
in Log of Client <"does not allow station-bridge"> message is displayed.

ingtegration

Re: Message "does not allow station-bridge" when client cannot connect to capsman

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:04 am

His goal would be to put the CAPs interfaces in ap-bridge mode (which is a must to get station-bridge working) which doesn't seem to be supported. I have a setup with CAPsMAN running perfectly for all smartphones, PCs, etc. but i have a remote wAP (we have an ethernet remote device connected to it) that connects to CAPs (AP Mode) and the only mode that works on the wAP side is station-pseudobridge which has its limitations.

CAPsMAN <-> CAPs <-> wAP <-> Ethernet Device

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... tion_Modes
Mode station-pseudobridge

From the wireless connection point of view, this mode is the same as standard station mode. It has limited support for L2 bridging by means of some services implemented in station:

MAC address translation for IPv4 packets - station maintains IPv4-to-MAC mapping table and replaces source MAC address with its own address when sending frame to AP (in order to be able to use 3 address frame format), and replaces destination MAC address with address from mapping table for frames received from AP. IPv4-to-MAC mappings are built also for VLAN encapsulated frames.
single MAC address translation for the rest of protocols - station learns source MAC address from first forwarded non-IPv4 frame and uses it as default for reverse translation - this MAC address is used to replace destination MAC address for frames received from AP if IPv4-to-MAC mapping can not be performed (e.g. - non-IPv4 frame or missing mapping).

This mode is limited to complete L2 bridging of data to single device connected to station (by means of single MAC address translation) and some support for IPv4 frame bridging - bridging of non-IP protocols to more than one device will not work. Also MAC address translation limits access to station device from AP side to IPv4 based access - the rest of protocols will be translated by single MAC address translation and will not be received by station itself.

This mode is available for all protocols except nv2 and should be avoided when possible. The usage of this mode can only be justified if AP does not support better mode for L2 bridging (e.g. when non-RouterOS AP is used) or if only one end-user device must be connected to network by means of station device.

One of the problems i faced with this was that ROMON wouldn't seem to work for reaching the remote wAP. This is still not resolved. As always, i googled a lot and tried to find infos on this, i got here searching!

As it is not enough, my CAPs are running multiple SSID using VLAN tagging / auto-frequency, etc (which works perfectly). A bit complex to get all the bits working!

venoos
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:17 pm

thanks for reply.
why in this address https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... n_Profiles
When set to full multicast packets will be sent with unicast destination MAC address, resolving multicast problem on wireless link. This option should be enabled only on access point, clients should be configured in station-bridge mode. Available starting from v5.15.
disabled - disables the helper and sends multicast packets with multicast destination MAC addresses
full - all multicast packet mac address are changed to unicast mac addresses prior sending them out
default - default choice that currently is set to disabled. Value can be changed in future releases.
how mikrotik say "clients should be configured in station-bridge mode" ? How is it possible ?
i installed multicast package and enabled this feature but not working.