Community discussions

MikroTik App

blingblouw
Topic Author

60ghz readings

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:08 am

Could someone from Mikrotik please chime in here. Your products have been on the market for a while, and while they are working great (and they really are, thank you!) we really need atleast some advise on how to use them.

For example, our first 3-5 links with the LHG60 we aimed for the best possible RSSI (sometimes reaching 3gbps PHY rate - not for long though) with RSSI good, +- 55. However after monitoring this link we notice the rate fluctuates drastically.

Then, we climb towers again, we align to centre, RSSI drops to about +-63 but rate and PHY is constant.

So, how would you like this aligned, what expected RSSI should we be getting at certain distance, what is better RSSI or centre?

Please advise a bit on how your product is expected to work?

ryny24

Re: 60ghz readings

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:15 am

Just today while installing a lhg60g link today in Central Park, I was wondering if the Mikrotik team would ever shed some insight on the alignment procedure. The up/down/left/right lights are like chasing a cat in a hat. The signal % means nothing if compared to RSSI. Yet, the strongest RSSI is usually slightly off from a visual best alignment.

The product does work great! But the alignment is like shooting jellyfish in a barrel. It would be nice to have some insight from the guys who designed the product. We are putting in 2-3 links/week, I hope they help soon
0907181109a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:48 am

if we align to center we see worse RSSI but higher Datarates
If we align to RSSI we see smaller Datarates but links works better in rain etc...

MonkeyDan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:36 pm

I too look for guidance.
Wiki was recently updated to say “'tx-sector-info' based alignment currently is in testing stage.” so I don’t know what to do.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/W60G

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi Guys,

I have several of the Wireless Wires and a few of the LHGG-60ad's. I am having a lot of link downs on the wireless interfaces, I believe this may be due to alignment, however we typically aligned for best Signal and not RSSI or center. I have noticed the link degradations mostly during a rain squall we had in the midwest, due to the reminisce of a tropical storm, however most all of our links are shorter than 50 meters.

Should we be shooting for +-55 dB or center? all of our MCS rates are 8 and PHY Rate: 2.3Gbps. Also when on tower or roof we are typically logging into the radios via webfig and communicating fine tune movements.

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:12 pm

Going to bump this up.

We have aligned several to "center" and best RSSI as possible. We are still getting link downs on the wireless radios. We have several on 6.42.7 and 6.43 and see the same issues. Some of these are less than 50M, we are also seeing this on a LHGG-60ad pair that is on 6.43 at less than 300M.

MonkeyDan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Going to bump this up.

We have aligned several to "center" and best RSSI as possible. We are still getting link downs on the wireless radios. We have several on 6.42.7 and 6.43 and see the same issues. Some of these are less than 50M, we are also seeing this on a LHGG-60ad pair that is on 6.43 at less than 300M.
Try 6.42.3. That has been the most reliable for us.
Also <50m for wAPs and <300m for LHGs might be too close. Try lowering the tx-power on both sides.

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:09 pm

Here is a common example of our links. The amount of link downs is numerous, we are @ 81.89m in distance and -62dB. I can;t tell if we are way out of alignment and we are @ center. We have tried fine tuning these but cannot seem to get better than -61/-62 or so.

This particular link is line of site with 0 obstructions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Last post here is October 2018. Since then everybody found the answers? Did MT somewhere explained the alignment procedure?

I have some of the same 60Ghz links and yes they work great. But still we are a bit puzzled on the best way to align.
We need to make some 10 km links now (up to now our longest is 320 meters) but I am afraid we are going to spend endless hours in aligning these... any new input on today's knowledge and status (ROS v. 4.44.3 stable now...) would be appreciated....