Community discussions

MikroTik App

mattmc97
just joined
Topic Author

Ping / connecting from AP side to CPE side of bridge

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello,

Could use some help with a bridge setup at a customer's site to extend ethernet to a new piece of equipment and remote login. I have only used Microtik Wireless one other time and it was several years ago.

Setup:
Two LHG5s (v6.42.7 ) connected to the local network, One is at the office (AP) with IP address of 192.168.5.250 and then the remote (CPE) is setup at remote Building with address of 192.168.5.251.
They are about 300 feet apart and have full signal. Both are setup with static addresses and have the netmask, gateway, DNS servers entered.
AP setup using QuickSet on Winbox, and is set to 'PTP Bridge AP' and ip address of 192.168.5.250 . This is connected to the local lan.
CPE setup using QuickSet on Winbox, and is set to 'CPE' and ip address of 192.168.5.251 . This is at remote building where my machine lives.

While I was at the site, I installed antennas and was able to connect my laptop at the CPE and received a DHCP assigned address from the customer's DHCP server at the office (so link was able to allow DHCP work), I also could ping the main office gateway and get on the internet. I finished configuring the equipment with my laptop while at the CPE. I rechecked the connection after configuration and still had internet, so I thought I was done.

So I leave customer site and arrive back at my office. I connect to the customer network via their VPN and am able to ping gateway and login to both web interfaces. I then try to VPN to my machine (which is connected to the CPE) and I cannot ping it. I am assigned an address when I VPN in, and can ping the local gateway, and both AP and CPE, and even get on the CPE webfig (which is on the remote side of the bridge), but not my remote machine which is attached to the CPE.

If I Iogin to the CPE unit and ping thru the web interface or do a network IP Scan from the web interface, then the remote CPE sees the remote machine just fine, but I cannot connect or ping it over the bridge.

I checked the firewall settings, but there are no filter rules listed.

So it appears that maybe I need to add a route or maybe an EoIP tunnel to allow the connection to the machine connected to the CPE? I am not even sure either of those are correct.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TLDR version: New bridge setup, CPE -> AP Ping works fine, Internet works fine, AP -> CPE connected equipment, No Ping, No remote connectivity,

Thanks!