Community discussions

MikroTik App

SugarBear
just joined
Topic Author

Connect your MikroTik to regular WiFi, simply

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:47 am

I don't know about you, but I found myself in a situation where WiFi strength is not all that great, and throughput is even less great.

Thankfully, I have a RouterBoard 411 with a dual-band dual-chain card kicking around, as well as a Sextant antenna.

So I tried connecting my RB-411 to the 5GHz WiFi from home router (AC, 40 MHz channel, WPA2-PSK encryption). Eventually, it worked.
Speed went up from 30 at best with laptop's Intel AC7260, to ~90Mbps at best or around 80 Mbps average. Mind you, 411's are 100MFD cards and N-at-best to boot, and I am paying for 75/10, so YMMV - and for the better.

Here is the setup script you will need to run on a no-config defaulted card (should work on any 4xx, 7xx, 9xx and later cards running RouterOS 6.x - I am using 6.36.4), found through some trial and error, but is dead simple and works (Make sure to change any CHANGEME's to applicable):

Code: Select all

/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
/interface wireless security-profiles
add authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk eap-methods="" management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=CHANGEME supplicant-identity="" wpa-pre-shared-key=CHANGEME wpa2-pre-shared-key=CHANGEME
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=5ghz-onlyn channel-width=20/40mhz-eC country=no_country_set disabled=no frequency=auto mode=station-pseudobridge rx-chains=0,1 security-profile=CHANGEME ssid=CHANGEME tx-chains=0,1 tx-power=5 tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed wireless-protocol=802.11
/ip dhcp-client
add default-route-distance=0 dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=wlan1
Keep in mind that the above script will limit your card's output to 5 dB. I am assuming this will be used indoors...
Last edited by SugarBear on Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Connect your MikroTik to regular WiFi, simply

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:02 pm

You shouldn't have dhcp-client on wlan1 when wlan1 is a bridge port.
It's good to see that useless firewall NAT rule is disabled. So why include it?

SugarBear
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:20 am

This is a bit of a leftover from official guide. However, since wlan1 is in bridge, would it matter? It works either way, though moving DHCP client to bridge does show ARP for the router, which is about the only difference I see. I am no MK expert, mind you, just playing around with it to learn.
You probably don't even need this rule unless you want to access MK from other networked devices without Winbox. I guess I need to test this out some more.
It's good to see that useless firewall NAT rule is disabled. So why include it?
That was also leftover from the official tutorial - which did not work as you might imagine. I disabled it as it did nothing, but you are right, I shouldn't have included it.
While editing code (I had also added an 8Mbps upload queue so as not to hose the rest of network's 10, which I removed) I was a bit more concerned about my password configs than useless stuff that was disabled... Long days don't help.

Thanks for the feedback!

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:20 am

This is a bit of a leftover from official guide. However, since wlan1 is in bridge, would it matter? It works either way...
Yes it does matter and no it doesn't work. It complains about not creating on slave ports if you try it in Winbox, and existing items will turn red to show unhappiness.
At least current versions do. Your archaic version is hardly what anybody should be using any more, but is probably why it works for you.
But the value of "guides" based on old stuff like this is rather questionable.