MikroTik App

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

high density experience, fair use problems

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:14 pm

Hello,

I use hAP AC, wAP ac and cAP AC Access points in a capsman based Controller Setup in different class rooms from 30 to 300 people. The more people connect the worser get's the situation for all people. E.g. a rooms with around 160 seats. I have 3 wAP ac access points plus 2 cAP AC devices

wAP AC:
1, 6, 11@20 MHz
36, 52, 100@80Mhz

cAP AC:
no 2.4 GHz
116, 132 @20Mhz

I consider the whole building as clean, i.e. a lot of steal, thick walls after there is really no signal left. Kind of great for channel planning, though.

"Air Time Fairness" is something I need, so how do I accomplish this? Does anyone have any Idea?

Petri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: high density experience, fair use problems

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:02 am

Some thoughts on your post:

You have two APs with 20MHz channel width and three with 80MHz. The client devices won't consider channel width when selecting the AP to associate with. The number of clients would be even over the APs, not used channels. I would set all APs on 40MHz unless you are certain your client base will benefit from 80MHz clients (recent MacBook Pros for example). Often in dense deployments it is better to use 20MHz channels to cut down the noise.

You don't mention transmit power at all. Turn it way down when the APs and users are in the same room. Around 5 to 7 dBM EIRP is a good value. If all the APs are blasting at full power they will interfere with each other even if they are on different channels.

You could also experiment with Access List rules that deny access below -70 or -68 dBm signal level. This will force the clients to use the nearest AP and helps distribute clients more evenly. It could happen that the clients associate with the first AP when they enter the room and stay associated with it. For example Apple iOS devices won't roam unless the signal drops below -72 dBm even if there is a better AP right above. There is no Air Time Fairness in RouterOS. You can get the same result by denying all weak connections when you know there is a better connection available.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: high density experience, fair use problems

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello,

thanks for your reply.
for 2.4Ghz channels I set tx power to "8"
for 5Ghz channels I set tx power to "12"
(for all devices, for all frequencies)
=> Do you have any recommendations for this?

I changed to 40Mhz for all 5Ghz radios. Let´s see user say about this.
I also ask myself whether I have too many DFS radar detected events, although I cannot find any within the logs. I added additional frequencies to my channels.