MikroTik App

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

CAPSMAN + datapath.bridge-horizon ?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Hello,
I have CAPSMAN based forwarding enabled (1 SSID with, 1 datapath, VLAN IDs from RADIUS server) and enabled/disabled "datapath.bridge-horizon" which means according to the wiki: "bridge horizon to use when adding as bridge port"
I still have no idea, what this one actually does. Can someone please give an example when I need this to be enabled or disabled? What effect does it have on clients/accesspoints/traffic?

Regards

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: CAPSMAN + datapath.bridge-horizon ?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:50 pm

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... t_Settings

Use split horizon bridging to prevent bridging loops. Set the same value for group of ports, to prevent them from sending data to ports with the same horizon value. Split horizon is a software feature that disables hardware offloading.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:M ... n_bridging

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Hello,

thanks for the links.
Split horizon bridging
The basic idea of split horizon bridging is to make traffic arriving over some port never be sent out some set of ports
So I set "datapath.bridge-horizon" option on CAPSMAN controller, i.e. on the CAPs datapath configuration tab.

=> With that option enabled on the datapath, traffic coming from clients that are connected to a CAP (access point) will not be passed to clients that are connected to other CAP (access points), right?

=> So basically clients on on single CAP access point can communicate with each other while they cannot communicate with client that are connected on another CAP?

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 pm

I'd have to check, but think you are correct: datapath.client-to-client-forwarding for traffic within same CAP and datapath.bridge-horizon for forwarding between CAPs on the same bridge.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 pm

That would be the solution for large installations when huge numbers of clients are connected to one SSID. So I could limit the wireless broadcast domain which should lead in a better performance for all clients...

ferdytao

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Does it worked for you?
I tried your solution using the same bridge horizons value on different CAPs but clients just connect once at a time. If I have a client connected on AP1 another client on AP2 is unable to connect.

Did you had the same problem?

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:58 pm

Does it worked for you?
I tried your solution using the same bridge horizons value on different CAPs but clients just connect once at a time. If I have a client connected on AP1 another client on AP2 is unable to connect.

Did you had the same problem?
No, I haven't had those problems so far.