Community discussions

MikroTik App

dragunov2
just joined
Topic Author

A beginner's issues connecting 40 concurrent users on a MikroTik hAP ac

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Hello everyone,

Apologies if this comes across as completely stupid, but after lots of research, I wasn't able to conclude on exactly what I'd need for this scenario so ended up getting a MikroTik routerboard hAP ac to try out and - surprise! - I couldn't get it to work.

The scenario: I want to connect 40 virtual reality headsets to a central laptop so it can send instructions to run a video on each device at the same time simultaneously. To get this to work, the laptop I'm using has specific server software and each of the 40 headsets is running corresponding client software. I don't need any internet access and I expect the bandwidth is very low (but concurrent) across the 40 users as it just needs to handshake and send instructions.

Everything was looking very positive as one headset after another successfully connected per my server software... until I got to about #15. After that it all went wrong where headsets after that refused to connect to the wireless SSID I had set up or connected but then couldn't make contact with the server. Headsets that were previously working started dropping and wouldn't reconnect. Even when I reduced the number of connections no headset would make the connection to the server successfully until I rebooted the router. Tried again after that - same issue after about 10 headsets.

Have I made an ignorant newbie error by assuming I could get this done with 1 access point? Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you in advance!

oboss
just joined

Re: A beginner's issues connecting 40 concurrent users on a MikroTik hAP ac

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 pm

can you post log when this happend?... and see your resorce available (in console /system resource> print ) , probably can be cpu (hap ac is single core) or wireless congestion (try using another channel)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Also, show us your wifi settings and the log, when the problems start to happen.
2.4GHz could also mean interference

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:10 am

Please post: /export compact

Also what Headsets so you use?