Community discussions

MikroTik App

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PWR-Line AP request for comment

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Someone has already bought PWR-Line APs?
They have two ethernets?
Someone can post screenshots of interfaces and other particular menus?

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: PWR-Line AP request for comment

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Not available yet, search for PL7411-2nD:
The PWR-LINE AP is a wireless access point with a single Ethernet port, a built-in 802.11b/g/n WiFi radio and capability to connect to other PWR-LINE devices through the electrical lines in your premises.

Details and pictures:
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/PWR-line-a ... 094027.pdf

MikrotikBGSHOP
just joined

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:21 pm

PL7411-2nD is available already. My first batch of it is on it's way and is expected on 12/19.
So far the mentioned leaflet is the only info available.
Once I get it I will perform some tests :)

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Not available yet, search for PL7411-2nD:
The PWR-LINE AP is a wireless access point with a single Ethernet port, a built-in 802.11b/g/n WiFi radio and capability to connect to other PWR-LINE devices through the electrical lines in your premises.

Details and pictures:
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/PWR-line-a ... 094027.pdf
Ok, one for each of them or one has Ethernet and the other one wlan?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Ok, one for each of them or one has Ethernet and the other one wlan?
I can only see one device model ... which has got one RJ-45 ethernet port, one DLC "ethernet port" (power line) and one wireless interface.

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:16 pm

This is a joke, right? You ask for my comments? Here you are....

This is the most ugly and obsolete device I've ever seen! You can buy WiFi single band wall warts since more than 10 years!
Everyone who wants to have such a thing, already bought it years ago. Maybe put OpenWRT on it, if want features like RouterOS has.
OK, you will not have Capsman, but as long as there is no roaming feature in Capsman, there is no real benefit.

This device is ugly, the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is near zero. It has protuding buttons, your children will have fun with it!
It has ventilation holes, so no IP44? It will accumulate dust inside. Ventilation holes means there is much heat to spread, this is a fire hazard.
Especially when your wife will wrap something around the case because it looks so ugly.

No cut-thru power socket? This is very inconvenient. Where do you need such a device? In old houses where the walls are thick, no data cabling
and already too few power receptacles. Block one with this device? Why, when you can buy somewhere else (Devolo)?

2.4GHz single band? Almost all of the latest WiFi gadgets are 5GHz capable. 2.4GHz band is overcrowded in most neighborhoods. With
40MHz bandwidth you only have two non-overlapping channels. You may want more if you have a big home and need more than two APs!

HomePlug AV standard? Industry is moving towards G.hn! Maybe the silicon is not so cheap, but please Mikrotik don't start a new product line
with legacy technology!

Please Mikrotik, give us home users:
- wall wart with 16A cut-thru power socket
- 5GHz band with good working DFS and band steering if dual-band
- fast roaming with Capsman
- IP44 case
- G.hn power-line technology
- no protruding buttons
- recessed Reset button
- flat and comforting look
- cool silicon - use chip accellerator cores

In addition: A "feed" device for the power-line network. PoE powersupply unit with built-in power-line modem bridge
(to connect to HEX S or whatever, power AND data)
Last edited by muetzekoeln on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Seriously? Somebody needs better sleep, I think.
You can buy WiFi single band wall warts since more than 10 years!
So what? All IoT things are still single chain 2GHz, all arduino and smart bulbs, thermostats and what not. Those are the weakest devices that can't reach your main AP from the bedroom.
t has ventilation holes, so no IP44? It will accumulate dust inside.
Does your TV, Playstation and PC accumulate dust? Yes, so what?
Ventilation holes means there is much heat to spread, this is a fire hazard.
Which device in your home has no ventilation holes?
Almost all of the latest WiFi gadgets are 5.8GHz capable.
So what? Those devices also support LTE. Why don't you use that?

Your wishlist is for something completely different. The PWR Line is for your smart radiator thermostat that needs to access the hub, or for your childs old iPhone 4, so that they get notifications in the bedroom, where you hopefully don't have the RB4011 quad chain monster installed.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Hopefully it being limited to 2.4G and 802.11n will mean it will sell as badly as possible. Powerline technology makes one big antenna from all your house wiring, creating a jammer killing any signals from 0-80MHz or even higher. Unless you live in a bunker or a faraday cage, just please don't use it. Better wifi AP or simple wifi repeater will give you same bandwidth with much less hassle in most cases, for less money.

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 pm

I want to answer to every comment:
1. Wife: I don't have a wife, but if you're here writing, then you're able to teach your wife to DON'T TOUCH RBs unless you call home and ask for a reboot.
2. Children: I don't have children, but if you're here writing then you're able to teach your children
to DON'T TOUCH RBs.
3. 5GHz: why? A Powerline is made to cover areas without Wi-Fi and where you can't pass cables.
In most of these cases, you have thick walls, so with 5GHz you should have a Powerline in each room.
Plus everything can connect 2.4GHz.
4. Advantages: you don't have a stupid powerline that you can't even ping, with MK Powerline you can:
a. MAC TELNET (and this should be enough) and PING
b. Scripting
c. Virtual APs
d. Everything else that a stupid powerline or common router from other vendor can't do

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:01 am

You can buy WiFi single band wall warts since more than 10 years!
So what? All IoT things are still single chain 2GHz, all arduino and smart bulbs, thermostats and what not. Those are the weakest devices that can't reach your main AP from the bedroom.
t has ventilation holes, so no IP44? It will accumulate dust inside.
Does your TV, Playstation and PC accumulate dust? Yes, so what?
Ventilation holes means there is much heat to spread, this is a fire hazard.
Which device in your home has no ventilation holes?
Almost all of the latest WiFi gadgets are 5.8GHz capable.
So what? Those devices also support LTE. Why don't you use that?

Your wishlist is for something completely different. The PWR Line is for your smart radiator thermostat that needs to access the hub, or for your childs old iPhone 4, so that they get notifications in the bedroom, where you hopefully don't have the RB4011 quad chain monster installed.
normis can you give us more information?
Both Powerlines have got ethernet and wlans? They are paired as master and slave? If yes, can I choose master and slave? If yes to both, the fact that I can use only 8 Powerlines means that I can have one master and 7 slaves?
Have you got some screenshots of interfaces and other particular menus?

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:03 am

PL7411-2nD is available already. My first batch of it is on it's way and is expected on 12/19.
"Expected" in December means they'll arrive in January, but please post screenshots and photos when they'll arrive.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:59 am

Redmor, we sell them as single units, so you can set them as you want. Yes, you can set one master and 7 slaves.

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Redmor, we sell them as single units, so you can set them as you want. Yes, you can set one master and 7 slaves.
I thought you sell them in couple, good to know.
Thank you very much.

MikrotikBGSHOP
just joined

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:45 am

"Expected" in December means they'll arrive in January, but please post screenshots and photos when they'll arrive.
As I said 19/12 - just arrived. Here are some pictures : https://imgur.com/a/oUKJGQ4
I have to say that I'm surprised from the small size of the device - almost 1/4 of the size of hap lite. Actually it is pretty nice and looks fine on the power socket.

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Does this come as a pair, or do I need to purchase two?

-tp

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:40 pm

As mentioned by Normis they sell them as single units.
You can buy one or two or... 8 or... 1000 or even more :)

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm

........... ...................... ..................
I install a lot of PWR Line networking devices -- all are 802.11ac -- I will not touch any PWR Line device that is not 802.11 ac capable. All the smart devices I also install are 802.11ac capable. I no longer suggest or recommend 802.11abg but I do still recommend 802.11n as long as it support MIMO.;-)

I for one have to agree with @muetzekoeln ... but in many 3rd world places 802.11abg is still in demand :-)