MikroTik App

MikroTikFan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Does Mikrotik LTE supports IPV6?

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi,

I just looking for LTE modem which supports natively IPV6 from cellular or IPV6/IPV4 by setting LTE APN.
In Poland only Orange celular operator supports IPV6 if you will chose APN:internetipv6 and netwirking IPV6.

Mikrotik has many LTE devices which should be configured.

- LtAP mini LTE kit
- wAP LTE kit
- SXT LTE kit

Could anyone chceck if is possible IPV6 LTE configuration using LtAP mini LTE kit ?

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Does Mikrotik LTE supports IPV6?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:46 am

yes,
i have both devices (ltap mini, wap lte kit) in operation running 6.43 with dual stack on lte interface.

MikroTikFan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 am

yes,
i have both devices (ltap mini, wap lte kit) in operation running 6.43 with dual stack on lte interface.

Thank you.
I understud that your cellular operator supports ipv6/ipv4 dualstack, you can config your dedicated APN for ipv6 and type of ipv... and finaly you can get ipv6 address for this device?

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:35 pm

and finaly you can get ipv6 address for this device?
yes, your MNO must support dual stack or ipv6only access, and the sim card (i.e. your mobile subscription) must be also ipv6/DS enabled on a particular APN you want to connect to.

you should know that most (if not every) operator just provide a /64 GUA as connectivity, and this will be shared between the lte interface and the interface tou specify as “ipv6-interface” under the apn setting in “/interface lte apn” section.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:41 pm

and usually the same filtering applies as with IPv4 on the MNO side: you can not reach the endpoint over ipv6 if the device just connects to the internet via the mobile operators. they just allow sessions that have been initiated by the mobile end device. so in general it’s not just the NAT that stops your device from being accessible externally.

but your operator might follow a different approach, but i thing this eould be highly unlikely... MNOs usually require dedicated APNs for “bidirectional” communication and most probably will charge extra fee for that. this is at least my experience.