Community discussions

MikroTik App

w0rmy
just joined
Topic Author

CAPsMAN issue's

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 am

Hi All,

Ive been tasked with finding the issue in a capsman setup and at this point I am coming to you guys for some help.

We have 5 cAP Gi-5acD2nD connecting to a 3011UiAS all running ros6.43.8 using CAPsMAN to provision a number of wlans (multiple networks, and multiple hotspots). We are using both 5GHz and 2.4GHz. The 5GHz network functions fine, we cannot find any issue with it, however, the 2.4GHz performs horrid on the rare occasion you can connect to it. You will find that after a restart of an AP, the Samsung A6 tablets will connect to the 'int-NW-2G' for a period of time, then will drop off and will not connect. The error found in the log is 'lost connection, received deauth: authentication not valid (2)'. The issue doesnt seem to impact all AP all the time either, so for example we can connect to AP05, move the tablet near another AP, we loose connection to the tablet, and then when moving back to AP05, we can no longer connect again. None of these issues appear on 5GHz.

Apon removing the AP that we cannot connect to from capsman, and setup a wlan, all devices connect to it fine, all the time, without any drops.

Attached is the conf for the capsman, and 1 ap.

Any help would be appreciated.
ma-router.rsc
ap05.rsc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAPsMAN issue's

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Here are three things you can try to track down the root cause.

Take one of the APs and make it s standalone AP. See if a client gets good speeds off that.

Scan the area with the slow speeds with the following command. /interface wireless spectral-history wlan1. Post a screen shot of the output. You may have some type of interference in the area.

Manually chose the 2.4Ghz channel instead of using Auto.

w0rmy
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:15 am

Here are three things you can try to track down the root cause.

Take one of the APs and make it s standalone AP. See if a client gets good speeds off that.

Have done this, the device works fine outside of capsman.

Attached is the spectral scan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:46 am

Have done this, the device works fine outside of capsman.

Thank you, I missed that where you had tried it stand-alone. Well, then its an issue with the cap manager. I don't use that feature. I don't know how to help you further.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 am

there are some thinks in your config, what i would to in another way.

How much speed is available ?
how much clients at the same time?

w0rmy
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 pm

there are some thinks in your config, what i would to in another way.

How much speed is available ?
how much clients at the same time?
Same, I just picked this install up off someone else to try resolve their issues. However, I do not see anything that fundamentally is wrong and would break it from working.

Fibre connection, 100/50 or 50/20, cannot remember. As for clients, I cant see it getting to 30 TBH, its merely for a couple of private networks for the restaurants to manage their music, and a couple of hotspots for restaurant clients.

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:05 pm

1 - Do not use both WPA and WPA2.
2 - reduce TX power on 2,4GHz interfaces.

w0rmy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:06 pm

1 - Do not use both WPA and WPA2.
Why?

I only ask as this security profile works on the same devices outside capsman.

2 - reduce TX power on 2,4GHz interfaces.

This has been tried (14dBm I believe) however this had no noticeable impact.

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 pm

The 802.11n prohibits using high throughput with WEP or TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (for example, WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps.
Use only WPA2-AES for full 802.11n speed.

w0rmy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 pm

The 802.11n prohibits using high throughput with WEP or TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (for example, WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps.
Use only WPA2-AES for full 802.11n speed.
Surely this wouldnt stop a connection to the AP from the client though? The clients cannot connect. The same settings under a non CAPsMAN managed AP, works.

I understand that the configuration isnt ideal, but surely it should at least still be working?