Community discussions

jbird
just joined
Topic Author

Backhaul speeds - N only / AC only or mixed mode

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:42 pm

I am trying to maximize available speed on some backhauls. I've always set the band mode for backward compatibility even if all the radios on the link support the newest standard. For example, if all radios support 802.11N, I choose b/g/n. Is there any advantage to choosing N only or even AC only if all the radios support AC? Or, is there an advantage to choosing mixed mode? If there is rain fade and the signal strength decreases, do the legacy modes offer any advantage?

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Backhaul speeds - N only / AC only or mixed mode

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 pm

Hello,

I didn't think that mixed mode will do anything with rain fade. It will help you support older clients, which I did not want (for me).

If I read you properly, it's your infrastructure. I'd go Greenfield, meaning pure N and pure AC. Yes, mixed mode allows older clients to connect but it also slows your network.

Cheers

Sent from my cell phone. Sorry for the errors.

jbird
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Yes. It is our infrastructure. I wasn't sure if mixed mode would slow the network if there are no legacy clients. We now have more incoming bandwidth at some of our sites, so I am refining our backhauls to make better use of the bandwidth. I am going to convert some links to Greenfield mode to see how it improves the links.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 am

Yes. It is our infrastructure. I wasn't sure if mixed mode would slow the network if there are no legacy clients. We now have more incoming bandwidth at some of our sites, so I am refining our backhauls to make better use of the bandwidth. I am going to convert some links to Greenfield mode to see how it improves the links.

It slows down you network a little bit, offering more modes needs Airtime.
But we are talking about 10% In P2P

If you are looking for higher speeds in the range 1,5km to 50km
The best option today is not buying Mikrotik.

If you need something new for short links look at LHG60