Community discussions

MikroTik App

The Grog
just joined
Topic Author

Opinion - Wireless Network

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:57 am

We are in the process of setting up quite a big network. :D I have done this a couple of times, all with Mikrotik and I am fairly efficient in its use. However this one will be different and some ideas might be helpful.
Opinions regarding my setup will be appreciated.

All be using 5.1-5.8GHz. All IPs will be private as public is not required. An expected 500-1000 clients will be using a single highsite.

CPE:
A RB133 with a R52 wireless card - NATed with DHCP server on ethernet.
PPPoE to AP on the wireless side. A couple of simple rules will be loaded to allow QoS (max priority) for VOIP to our SIP boxes and b/w for an internal FTP server(lowest priority). They will all be setup the same, we are buying 600 units at a time. The only thing the installation guys have to set is the SSID, username and password to simplify and speed up installations.

APs:
Six 60deg sectors, each with a RB532A and R52 bridged. Most functions will be switched off as they are not needed. The reason for this setup is to facilitate quick replacement as we are in a very heavy lightning area and to allow easy upgrades on a highsite, if I need to add another sector, I just add another RB and plug it into the switch and viola.. no downtime on the existing sectors instead of using a single box with all the wireless cards inside. I know it is more expensive, but it will be worthwhile in the long run.

The Bridged APs is connected to a SUSE linux. A PPPoE server will be running on it. Routing will also be enabled on it. The only reason for linux, instead of Mikrotik is that I need redundency on the harddrives and machine, and more CPU power to pull the required PPPoE users. The linux box routes the traffic to the backhaul, also RB532As, and if more bandwidth is required on a site, we will add on more boards and enable round robin balancing over these.
The PPPoE server sends auth requests back to any of two freeradius servers for redundency. IPs will be assigned to the CPEs via IP pools from the radius for b/w management. Accounting will be used to determine usage, but only for each client and will not be used for billing etc, as we have internal services and VOIP and they are not to be included in the billing.

A Cisco SCE 1000 will be used with policy management to control internet and related services, including VOIP. This is the best solution I could come up with, although expensive, it allows me to shape queues and bandwidth and implement fair capping as b/w is expensive here. The user manager from Mikrotik is too simple and focuses too much on hotspot access and not on WISPs. For example, once a user has reached his cap, he goes into another queue that uses only available b/w and does not interfere with the rest. This device will be on the edge of the network. It also marks traffic, so that VOIP traffic is prioritised over the internet feeds and backwards onto the network.

A Mikrotik Box will be used on the edge to route internet traffic, depending on marking from the Cisco SCE. VOIP will go to pipeline 1 for example and the rest ECMP over multiple lines.

In this regard I need some help. ECMP over a couple of lines is pretty difficult to get right. I am thinking of using a Mikrotik box as I have used it before with great success, but I am sure there are better solutions.
The reason I am using a couple of lines is that leased line stuff here is very expensive and I want to use a couple of smaller leased lines that is cheaper than one big trunk. But keep in mind that I might end up with like 30-50 of these. So help here will be appreciated.

Thank you!

To recap:

PC
|
Ethernet (DHCP, private address range)
|
RB133 (NAT enabled, Most services turned off)
|
R52 (DHCP Enabled)
|
|
PPoE Link Wireless
|
|
R52 (No encryption - PPPoE used)
|
RB532A (Most services turned off)
| Bridged
Ethernet
|
Linux Box (PPPoE server and Proxy)
|
Ethernet
|
RB532A (Most services turned off)
|
R52
|
|
Encryption enabled link
|
|
R52
|
RB532A
|
Ethernet -> Radius and Database servers
|
Cisco SCE 1000 -> Policy manager - Subscriber Management
|
| -> VIOP Proxy Server (Ports NATed for incoming SIP)
|
Mikrotik router
| | |
Line1 Line2 Line3
-----------------------
|
Internet

The Grog
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:03 am

24 hours and no ideas not opinions? Come on guys, am I on the right path?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:30 pm

if you are going to use large number of lines i would suggest you to use load balancing with persistent links. that is all i can add here, as all the rest seem to be well thought out and ordered. why interfere if you know what you are doing.
Last edited by janisk on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Grog
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Thanks Janisk,

Its just that there is always a better way of doing things. I am fairly happy with my configuration, but with the scale of the network we are setting up, I am just passing this by to see if I can better on it.

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:15 am

Just a thought , if you get a good number of leased lines could you get your own box into the exchange end to do bonding for you ?
And maybe use these : http://www.aerial.net/shop/product_info ... cts_id=115
or something similar on the boxes driving the sectors on the tower , would save having to open boxes up there.

Maybe look into using the beeper onboard the 133 client units to speed up alignment.