Community discussions

MikroTik App

Snows187
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik AP & Switch Question's

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 am

Be for I asked this on the forums I did do some google foo with varying luck and no definitive answers.
The ap's I refer to here are the RBcAPGi-5acD2nD

Question 1: can I feed the Ap's from any brand of switch Like a Cisco SG300 PoE Switch?
Question 2: can I run switchOS and still run AP's off of it?
Question 3: will this model run the AP's or cAP CRS-317-1G-16S+RM in switchOS mode?
Question 4: if 1-3 are yes then can I run the AP's via the Cisco's PoE Switch to the 317 as a controller ?
Sorry the question sound really redundant just do not want to buy hardware then they do not work.
Current network layout is a Pfsense - SG350X-24PK - SG300-10PP I want to add the 317 for 10Gbit.
I do not yet own the CRS317-1G-16S plan on getting it for just for 10Gb SFP+ But if it can also run my AP's that would be awesome.
As the Cisco route is to rich for my blood.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik AP & Switch Question's  [SOLVED]

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am

Question 1: can I feed the Ap's from any brand of switch Like a Cisco SG300 PoE Switch?
Question 2: can I run switchOS and still run AP's off of it?
Question 3: will this model run the AP's or cAP CRS-317-1G-16S+RM in switchOS mode?
Question 4: if 1-3 are yes then can I run the AP's via the Cisco's PoE Switch to the 317 as a controller ?
  1. According to PoE compatibility table (which doesn't say anything about your particular RB cAP device) there's a good chance that you can use any standards-compliant PoE switch, but you might need to use cross-over cable.
  2. No, switchOS is only for CSS- and CRS-series of switches. All other RouterBoard devices run RouterOS (which is much more versatile, but doesn't force you to use any of routing/firewall functionality). ROS is more complex to configure than SwOS, but most user reports indicate that it is also more stable and offer slightly more functionality (depending on SwOS version).
  3. No, CapsMan is a ROS function
  4. You can use any L2 switch between CapsMan (controller) and CAPs, you just might need to perform some additional configuration on those switches (e.g. add some VLAN config) depending on how you configure CapsMan

Just a note: CRS317 is a good switch but a very low-end router, so it doesn't make a replacement for your Pfsense. Related to that, CapsMan can be configured to either transport all CAP traffic to the CapsMan node and let it to the LAN there (VLANs are used for that) or CAPs can let traffic out locally. The second case offers much higher performance even if CapsMan node has higher processing power than CRS317 ...

Snows187
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik AP & Switch Question's

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks Man! That answered pretty much everything cool I did not know you could run the RouterOS mode with all the functions off. Yeah the pfsense is a beast and kind hard to replace with 48Gb of ram and 3.4Ghz 6 core FX and 3x1Tb disks for proxy not that its really needed on a 500Mbit connection. One last question are the ap's I selected good for Caps or does all of MikroTIK WIFI enabled devices do cAPs?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:56 pm

AFAIK all Mikrotik wifis can be used in cAP mode.

Snows187
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:42 am

Thanks Guys Wish I would Have found MikroTIK be for I started buying Cisco. Not that there is any thing wrong with cisco.
Maybe I may Ebay my Switch's and pick up a 48Port Poe MikroTiK

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks Guys Wish I would Have found MikroTIK be for I started buying Cisco. Not that there is any thing wrong with cisco.
Maybe I may Ebay my Switch's and pick up a 48Port Poe MikroTiK
There are no 48 port Mikrotik switches.

So your Cisco makes sense.