Community discussions

mysterym
just joined
Topic Author

Automatically connect to best signal AP

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:59 pm

I have a RBMetalG-52SHPacn dual-band device. I didn't realize it can't do 2.4 & 5 ghz simultaneously. Anyways, there are several networks I connect the RBMetalG-52SHPacn to regularly depending where I am (I am constantly moving/mobile). For example, I may connect it to an ISP hotspot that uses the same SSID 'Cablewifi' across much of the USA or I may connect to a local hotspot or business access point. Ideally, I'd like to be able to save these networks/passwords and have the RBMetalG-52SHPacn automatically connect to the SSID with the strongest signal. Is that possible? Also, I know this is far-fetched but is there any way to have it scan both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands automatically or would I have to toggle the setting manually? Some networks are on 2.4 and some are on 5ghz depending on the location. I am trying to find a solution that involves the least manual intervention so I dont have to constantly be playing with settings each time I move locations. Thank you all!
Last edited by mysterym on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mysterym
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Automatically connect to best signal AP

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 pm

I see a "connect list" but where would I enter the password for each SSID? Does it automatically select the AP with the best signal to connect to? How can I make sure its only connecting when there is a strong signal (i.e. not connect if signal is less than NN) so my failover router can switch to cellular? What happens if I am moving and the signal degrades will it automatically disconnect and switch to a AP with a better signal?

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Automatically connect to best signal AP

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 pm

/interface wireless security-profiles

Then you need to select the security profile for each wireless network you want to connect to.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain