MikroTik App

zabbaskeema
just joined
Topic Author

Boosting LTE and WIFI on a boat

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi dear people!

I am looking at these two products:

- RBSXTR&R11e-LTE (SXT 4G kit ) --> To boost LTE signal and provide better internet onboard
- Groove 52 ac (RBGrooveG-52HPacn) --> To boost available Wifi signals and provide better internet onboard

Does it make sense?
Can I use one PoE out from the SXT to power and link the Groove, then use the grove as the Access Point on the boat?
Or maybe the Groove52 can only be a repeater OR an AP? Therefore I would need to connect everything to a Wifi Router...
Any suggestions and thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Patrick

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Boosting LTE and WIFI on a boat

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Hey Patrick,

The Groove 52 ac has only single chain and is L3 device, L3 meaning you can only connect one device to it.
If you need the access point to be outside and waterproof you would be best off going for
The SXT 4G kit and a wAP ac (wAP ac duel band 2.4 - 5ghz outdoor or indoor device)

neutronlaser

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 am

You'll lose the will to live figuring out how to get them to work together.

zabbaskeema
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi there!

So aside from wanting to kill myself from the configuring part, understand that I should get a wAP ac dual band and connect both devices to it - then using its ap capabilities to share the internet coming from LTE/WiFi (which I could prioritize the one I want to use when Both are up, it even aggregate - is that even possible? )

Do I get this right?

Patrick

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm

About right. You could aggregate it, for multiple connections.
Note that the SXT LTE is a directional antenna, so you'll need to know the general direction of 4G mast.

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 pm

The WAP AC is an access point only, so you connect devices to it.
SXT LTE is for internet, you could power up the WAP AC on the second POE port and put the WAP AC outside maybe setup a hotspot on a vlan for other dock users.
You could put another indoor Tik device inside the cabin, if you need hardwired devices such as iptv receivers etc...

zabbaskeema
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks Flynno.

The AP can be inside - no problem.

The goal here is to catch weak LTE signals AND weak WIFI signals.

When sailing, there are places (marinas) where the Wifi will do just fine or other places/countries where I will want to stick to LTE - quite often the signal is weak from where we are on the water.

I was expecting to used the Groove52 as its pretty good at boosting/receiving the wifi signal.
For LTS I might be better with an omni directional antenna on a LTW modem. I dont think Mikrotic doea that unfortunately.

Then I would hook both to a wAP ac dual band.

If that makes any sense?

(I am NOT in the USA, wondering if there is an international version of the RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT-US, - it has PoE in/out)

Petri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 pm

How about the wAP LTE Kit? It has an omnidirectional LTE and integrated 2.4GHz Wi-Fi AP in a weatherproof case.

It is really hard to keep the SXT LTE directed to a stationary cell phone tower from a boat. Even when anchored the boat keeps turning around. You could mount the wAP LTE Kit as high as you can since you don't need to access it. The 2.4GHz Wi-Fi should be sufficient for onboard access.

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Boosting LTE and WIFI on a boat  [SOLVED]

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Ah ok now I understand your design, the SXT LTE kit has LEDS on it for alignment so you can just adjust it each time you dock.
Why dont you try build a custom solution using below;

mANT LTE 5o (LTE ANTENNA)
5dBi LTE antenna with 2 x SMA connectors x1

RBM33G
Powerful OEM board with three Gigabit LAN and two miniPCIe slots x1

R11e-2HPnD x 1
2Ghz miniPCI-express, 802.11b/g/n dual chain, 2x MMCX

ACOMNIRPSMA
2.4Ghz 5dBi Dipole antenna with RPSMA connector

ACMMCXRPSMA x2
MMCX to RPSMA pigtail

R11e-LTE
LTE miniPCI-e card for International bands

ACMMCXRPSMA MMCX to RPSMA pigtail x2

Flex-guide x2
Low loss cable assembly, soldered on both ends, with silver plated copper and less than 0.65dB losses

You will have to use something weatherproof to house all that stuff dough, maybe RF elements
https://rfelements.com/assets/Uploads/D ... U-CC-1.pdf

The RBGrooveGA-52HPacn is duel band and L4 you could create a virtual ap to connect to the wifi at the dock and you connect to another virtual ap for internet on devices
this can only be in 802.11 mode.

I would run two cables to each device or else get a PowerBox Pro to power up the devices outside, you could create a failover on the PowerBox Pro to switch between the LTE or Groove.
If any docks have data points you could connect up to the PowerBox Pro and have a third option for supply.

zabbaskeema
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:28 pm

Thanks so much! I will study all that and let you know the outcome :)

Many, many thanks!

Pat

erikwanta
just joined

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:07 am

I have purchased a Metal 52 ac G-525HPacn US. I want to use it to boost the marina wifi so that I can use it inside the boat while at the marina. I use WinBox v6.47 to connect. I use Quick Set->CPE, select the Marina Wireless and login, select Router, Automatic, ... It seems to be connected and receiving... Now I want to configure the Metal to transmit the boosted wifi. That is I want a new wireless network that I can connect to that will allow me to connect and get the boosted marina wifi. Any tips on how to accomplish this would be most appreciated. I don't see how to do this in the Quick Set CPE menu.

I tried to create a virtual wifi interface in the wireless section but don't know if that is correct or if it is what Mode should be set or how to configure.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:54 pm

@erikwanta, You should get a wireless router for in your cabin rather than setting up your Metal in a repeater mode. You only have one radio in the Metal and using it as a repeater will cut your throughput in half .