MUM Europe 2020

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Clarification needed---Superchannel

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:31 am

Hi,

Is Superchannel and Advance channels the same thing?

I read in the WIKI that the hardware requirement to use super channel is an Astheros wireless chipset AR9200 series. So does that mean that if I were to attempt to setup a link with a Metal 2shpn which has an AR9344 chipset on one side an RB with a R52hn which has a AR9220 chipset on the other end, I would be unable to use superchannel frequencies between them? Has anyone done this and it worked?

Just needed that clarification.

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Clarification needed---Superchannel

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 pm

would really like some suggestions to this. I need to order equipment to setup a 2.4 GHz PtP link that I would like to use superchannel frequency on. Pls advise. TIA

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:53 am

superchannel is a mode, not a frequency.

Superchannel removes some restrictions and should be used ONLY in laboratory for testing. To be specific, Superchannel will allow you to use any frequency supported by your wifi chip/card, including licensed frequencies. (i.e. you will most likely break a law in your country if you put that outside).

for example, with modes manual-txpower or regulatory-domain you could never set the 2477MHz frequency as such channel does not exist. however, with superchannel you can. At least some devices can - depends on wifi card.

I dont know where you read that you can use superchannel mode only with Atheros AR9200 when quick test proves, that it works on any device (I just used my hAP ac^2 which has IPQ-4018) Would you mind sharing that source? Maybe you just misunderstood it.

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:25 am

I guess I misunderstood. I understand the implication of using a frequency provided by superchannel mode. Below is taken from: Manual:Wireless Advanced Channels

"Overview
Advanced Channels feature provides extended opportunities in wireless interface configuration:

scan-list that covers multiple bands and channel widths;
non-standard channel center frequencies (specified with KHz granularity) for hardware that allows that;
non-standard channel widths (specified with KHz granularity) for hardware that allows that.
Hardware support
Non standard center frequency and width channels can only be used with interfaces that support it.

Currently only Atheros AR92xx based chips support non-standard center frequencies and widths with the following ranges:

center frequency range: 2200MHz-2500MHz with step 0.5MHz (500KHz), width range: 2.5MHz-30MHz width step 0.5MHz (500KHz);
center frequency range: 4800MHz-6100MHz with step 0.5MHz (500KHz), width range: 2.5MHz-30MHz width step 0.5MHz (500KHz);
AR93xx doesn't support this feature"

I've been wanting to test this for some time, but did not have any card that had the AR9200 series wireless chipset. I guess I can try it now. Thanks for the clarification.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:26 am

Yes, superchannel also unlocks custom channel widths.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Now I,m a bit confused. Does this mean that mean that can configure Superchannel by using card with any chipset, but if I need a custom channel width, I need to use something that has an AR9200 chipset?