Community discussions

MikroTik App

boba23

Wireless Wire - expected throughput?

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I am considering Mikrotik Wireless Wire 60ghz to replace my current Ubiquiti Nanobeam ac setup, since my ISP is going to offer 1GBit link speeds in 2019.

My current setup looks like this:

- ISP Link/Router in Building 1
- GBit LAN connection from router to Nanobeam 5AC 16
- Wireless Bridge from 5AC16 #1 to 5AC16 #2 on Building 2
- Distance is about 50 meters with absolute free line of sight

The nanobeam setup handles my current max. speed of 200MBit just fine but will probably max out at about 400MBit/sec.

I have been looking for reviews on the Wireless Wire kit but couldn't find too many ... the ones that did speed/throughput tests showed a max speed of about 600-700 MBit/sec.

Now my question is, is 600-700 the maximum that I can expect with my scenario? Or should a stable link of 800/900+ MBit/sec be possible on 50m/free line of sight, and not much 60ghz interference if any....

Another question is about weather ... I have read that heavy rain and especially snow might cause issues with the 60ghz link? Is this true? Or should the connection be stable during bad weather conditions as well? The antennas would be covered by the roof tops of the two buildings, so they shouldn't be directly covered with snow etc ...

Thanks,

boba

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Wireless Wire - expected throughput?

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Hello, most of the tests are done by using internal traffic generating tool - bandwidth test. This tool runs on internal device resources - and before latest updates utilized only one core of 4 core ARM CPU. With latest RouterOS releases this test runs on all cores, but we still recommend testing by using externally generated traffic. With external traffic throughput will be limited by Gigabit Ethernet port (2 Gbps TX+RX aggregated) unless very small packet size is used. Even with small packets device can handle close to Gigabit Ethernet throughput (Up to 2 million packets per second).
Please check our MUM presentations:
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 054871.pdf

Exiver
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:42 pm

I can confirm that Wireless Wire is indeed giving me full Gigabit capacity (~970M in both directions). Im using it in a setup where the links are about 70m away from each other. So you should be definitely good to got with the kit

boba23

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks for the answers guys .... sounds great regarding throughput.

Could any of you comment on my concerns regarding heavy weather conditions? Not that we have terribly strong winters here in Germany, but still I would want my Mikrotek link to be as stable as the one I have with Ubiquiti now, which never caused any trouble during bad weather. I could definitely live with slightly reduced signal during bad weather and a certain drop in throughput capacity let's say down to 600MBit, but it shouldn't loose connection etc.

Thanks,

boba

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:58 pm

In 50m distance - there will be no issues getting full speed in all weather conditions

boba23

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks Anton, so I guess Wireless Wire will be the logical upgrade to my wireless bridge this spring :-)

Got one more questions regarding wall mounting ... which mounting solution would I pick for direct wall mounting to be able to adjust horizontally and vertically?:

https://mikrotik.com/product/QMP

or

https://mikrotik.com/product/QMP-LHG

Are both compatible with the wap 60Gs in terms of mounting?

thanks,

boba

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks Anton, so I guess Wireless Wire will be the logical upgrade to my wireless bridge this spring :-)

Got one more questions regarding wall mounting ... which mounting solution would I pick for direct wall mounting to be able to adjust horizontally and vertically?:

https://mikrotik.com/product/QMP

or

https://mikrotik.com/product/QMP-LHG

Are both compatible with the wap 60Gs in terms of mounting?

thanks,

boba
QMP is the best choose for WAP

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless Wire - expected throughput?  [SOLVED]

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Got 975M on my tests over short distances. But a difference being that the line of site MEANS line of site. Off axis the throughput disappeared completely even at short range. So AIM and a clean LOS is key.

boba23

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:50 pm

I am now about to order my Wireless Wire kit. I have one more question regarding PoE.
As already stated I am using Ubiquiti Nanobeam 5AC 16s ... they come with PoE Injector with Gigabit interfaces as well.
Is it possible that I continue using those PoE injectors with the Wireless Wire devices to power them? Would mean less work in terms of installation for me ....

Here are the tech specs of the 5AC 16s in terms of power supply.

Power supply specs are: 24V, 0,5A (24 Watts)

Thanks,

boba
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.